Forums

Help › Forums

G10 Master Irons with Back Spin

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 30 2010 9:50 AM (6 replies)
  • imcoola
    228 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 6:05 AM
    Well when I hit my G10 Master Irons and add backspin to them it always seems like my shots get 10 yards shorter than they normally would. Is this normal? And why is it like this? regards
  • TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 12:41 PM

I haven't noticed this at all and I've been playing the G10's for two months now.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 12:46 PM

LOL-Yes they do get knocked down with backspin. It's the biggest difference between the TMs and the Pings. The Pings are up in the air longer and therefore are subject to more influence by the spin. You can see how it affects them all by going to BPB 10 and 11. Set up a practice round, get to the fairway and hit them both ways-with and without topspin. Just hit back and forth in the fairway (use the reverse green view to aim backwards) and you will see what happens. 

When I did this I determined the most affected clubs were the lower ones with the 7 and 8 being highest around 8 yds. I now use this newfound knowledge to control yardage more than anything.

Interesting side note-I used both free balls and SD balls doing this and found that the rated yardage pf the clubs with free balls was very consistent. The SDs obviously add some yardage.

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 1:43 PM

I don't think they always do so. And I also think distances would vary based on the landing surface. It will be different based on whether you hit fairway to fairway or fairway to green or rough to green. 

Wind will also have an effect as more bs means more time in the air and thus more effect of wind. 

Finally, the dist will depend on whether you ding the meter

I just hit my 9 iron (rated 130) full backspin on the green twice and both times it came to 129 yards - BPB green and negligible wind. 

I think the best way to get a handle on these is to take notes. Play a practice round with low wind and take notes every time you ding the meter. 

Suggestions by the other experienced players welcome..

• murducas
    65 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 6:59 AM

I have a massive problem with this especially in heavy wind i had a 20 yrd wind against at kiawah in a ready go just now, with 140 yards to pin  and hit full with a 7iron (160yrd) when normally i would only add 10yrd for this much wind and the ball was 20 yrds short???????

That wind cost me 40yrds???, i have had so many problems with my g10s, i have complained but never get response from WGT, if theres wind straight  im in trouble.

its really effecting my game now because sometimes there is no problem but sometimes there is so never know when to adjust shot,.

i always must add 10yrds no wind on the 1st at bethpage 2nd shot and 10yrds at hole 9 kiawah no wind and hole 2 par 3 at st andrews add 10 yrds.

driving me crazy

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Mon, Aug 30 2010 7:37 AM

IMO, if anything, they fly slightly further in the air, but their roll will be heavily reduced because (1) that's what backspin does, and (2) they are some of the higher-spin irons, allowing you to attain that amount of stopping-power.  Overall, you'll get less distance, but you should be getting more distance in the air.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 30 2010 9:50 AM

CharlemagneRH:
    Overall, you'll get less distance, but you should be getting more distance in the air.

Depending entirely on the wind.

If you launch a 7 iron, full backspin, into a decent tail wind it will go farther than the stated distance simple because the ball is in the air longer.  If you launch that same shot into a head wind, you are going to lose distance on both the backspin and the wind.

I have found with nominal, or side winds, that I will lose about 5-7 yards with full backspin with the 7...  less with more lofted clubs and more with the long irons.

Your results may vary.

RSS