Forums

Help › Forums

Re: BPB Tournament

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 5 2010 5:34 AM (9 replies)
  • sturner50
    4 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 6:38 PM

I think WGT really should look at the computer programming for this course.  It seems that if I start off playing well, the program punishes the player resulting in wierd things happening.  For example, every time I birdie a hole, the following hole results in at least a bogey if not a double bogey.  I bet 99.9% of the time I had a bogey after a birdie at BPB.

I just completed a tournament that resulted in 4+.  My first 6 or 7 holes I was one under. As soon as I got my first birdie, the program got all wacky on me.  I had a level 7 foot putt for par.  I hit it with the power of a 10 foot putt due to slow green speed.  Tthe ball stopped one foot from the hole.  On other holes that are level, my 10 foot putts would roll 11 or twelve feet.

I know a bunch of folks out there are gonna say its me and I dont know what I'm doing.  I understand Im not the best player out there but I think I am at least average.  And I tell you something is up. 

I have had 15mph winds do little or nothing to the flight of my ball, and then 7mph winds move my ball 10 yards off target.  And I'm talking about on the same course during the same round.  Especially when there is a bunker in the equation.  I have over compensated for the bunker, hit a perfect shot and the ball still flies into the bunker. 

Its actually a little ridiculous and defies all logic sometimes.  I think WGT should do something to include a little more logic in the programming.  It gets frustrating!

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 6:49 PM

sturner50:
    Its actually a little ridiculous and defies all logic sometimes.  I think WGT should do something to include a little more logic in the programming.

Don't take this the wrong way... but have you ever played real golf?   Were you good at it after one month? 

WGT bills itself as realistic. Therefore they have programmed in something called either 'the beast' or "VEMmie".  (search either in the box.)

Speaking for myself only... I can go to the driving range, get 50 balls and my driver and when the basket is empty those 50 balls are nowhere near each other... or, take half a dozen balls to the putting green and work on the 10' stroke...  less than half make it.

What does that tell me?  That there are many more considerations to this game than club/ball/distance.

Should you wish to play cartoonish target golf, there is another on-line free (for now) beta just down the road.  This other one is so easy that people are shooting -36 for one round of St. Andy's.  Yea... that's realistic.

Hope you see my point.  This game has a very steep learning curve and those not willing to practice to get better will usually find something else to do with their free time.

Have a nice day.

• bigbilldoh
    15 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 6:22 AM

you are 110% correct!! sturner50

• sturner50
    4 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 7:32 PM

I do play real golf. And, when I go to the range and hit 50 balls, I am able to get several of the balls near each other.

The point I was trying to make was that if you hit the same club, under the same conditions (wind, etc) you should get similar results. When you play real golf you know that certain clubs get certain distances. For example, you may get 75 yards from your SW when on the fairway but only 50 yards from the rough. You dont have to guess everytime you grab your SW and hope you get the yardage you expect. It seems to me that when playing WGT its a constant guessing game.

Dont take this wrong. I'm not the only person complaining about this and I read your responses to others who have complained. Frankly you are a bit rude and condesending. You can keep the rudeness to yourself.

Hope you see my point.

Have a nice day.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 11:32 PM

sturner50:
    I'm not the only person complaining about this and I read your responses to others who have complained. Frankly you are a bit rude and condesending. You can keep the rudeness to yourself

Ah well, after all that, you still took it the wrong way.

I should have known better.  I should have responded the same way we've been responding to this complaint since the very beginning.

"It's not a bug, if's a FEATURE."

sturner50:
    I know a bunch of folks out there are gonna say its me and I dont know what I'm doing.

At least you were right about one thing.

Have a nice day.

• SLASHX
    278 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 4:54 AM

Why do you feel the need to be an ass to this guy? He is voicing what he feels is a legit issue with the game. There isnt any need for that bud. Just because you have been around the game longer than someone else doesnt give you the right to talk down to people when they come to this forum to express a concern with the game. You were new once too... remember?

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 5:18 AM

Snaike:
    Should you wish to play cartoonish target golf, there is another on-line free (for now) beta just down the road.

Thank you for not mentioning the name.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 5:33 AM

sturner50:
    every time I birdie a hole, the following hole results in at least a bogey if not a double bogey.  I bet 99.9% of the time I had a bogey after a birdie at BPB.

Keep in mind everyone, it's a virtual beta golf game played from your browser.

Knowing this, how perfect does anyone expect this game to be, VEM or not?

Most importantly, it's a game.

Play well.

• Elswick
    15 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 7:05 PM

Snaike:
    I should have known better.  I should have responded the same way we've been responding to this complaint since the very beginning

One from who has more posts than pars. thank you for setting newbies straight. I hate it when they complain.

Maybe one day, the first response to a member of the community who is clearly frustrated and is just reaching out can be simply, yeah I know, I've been playing awhile and it happens to me, its just the game. 

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 5:34 AM
    Hi sturner50. This "game" is as real as it gets...for an on-line golf game. Honestly, there are 4 parts to becoming a very good player / golfer in this game. TIME - PATIENCE - PRACTICE and EQUIPMENT. Trust me, if you do not incorporate "ALL" 4 of these essential factors in your game, you will remain an avg.(Master) player, as myself. To give a better idea what I mean by TIME as opposed to PRACTICE. I will spend anywhere from 1, to 2 hours a day max. playing and practicing. That is about all the TIME I can muster to play / practice. Most of your "very good" golfers are 4 to 6 hrs a day (some even more) playing / practicing and then eventually (just like anything else that is pushed to an extreme) they "Burnout". Practice - practice - practice. Play - play- play. Patience- patience - patience, and "Buy" the right equipment and you will hit that magical avg. of....60. Good luck out their my friend....edge
RSS