Forums

Help › Forums

Re: See the replay

Tue, Feb 23 2010 6:56 AM (7 replies)
  • eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 2:36 PM

i was teed off onto the fairway on BB#9. on my approach shot i never moved the aim marker and hit my shot 1pixel left of ding line. the replay will show u the result but it went way left and into the trees.

the replay is on my profile under "major deviation"

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 3:09 PM

I would say that was a normal result of that position, ES. You're further away from the end of the trap which brings that tree into play. Pulling a shot into a 16 mph wind slight right to left was just enough to push it into the top of the tree. It just barely catches it in one of the views. Had you missed one pixel right then you would have cleared it.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 4:30 PM

eternalspirit:
    the replay will show u the result but it went way left and into the trees.

Jim's right. One pixel right of ding and your in there. I've noticed lately that a left to right/right to left wind as low as 4 mph, and a one pixel miss right or left of ding will will send the ball slicing or hooking and the ball will be off line as much as three to five yards at the pin.

I don't move the aim arc on my shots, and it's easier to compensate for the deviation. When I mention deviation, I'm not talking about a bug in the game causing it. It's the increased difficulty in the game with Virtual Equipment Model added.

I've found my style of play keeps VEM at bay most of the time. I see it like this, If I miss the ding on an aimed shot I'm going to get the same deviated result, missing the ding on purpose gives me more feel and control it seems like.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 5:55 PM

Hi eternal,

Yeh - I agree with the other guys. I've had a look at the shot from all angles - that is not a major deviation. Why didn't you move the aim marker further right ??? I would certainly have moved the marker further right - the ball is only going to go left on this shot !!

You're hitting into a strong slightly right to left wind and you miss by 1 pixel (left) Thats going to send your ball way left of the aim marker for sure. Having said that you just clip the tree so you weren't to far away from clearing it. 

The ball would have ended well left all the same.

Cheers Doug

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 7:36 PM

Want to see Vemmie in action, see my last replay, 3mph wind, I think a head wind too not that it matters much 3mph. 

Slight late hit and I was aiming middle of fairway, take a look.  Yeah I know, a miss is a miss but isnt it funny how some just magically go cuckoo and others are much more realistic misses....

That beacth is turned up a notch lately and people are noticing hence all the posts. 

There  was 2 weeks of absolute peace and tranquilty where the b#stard was no where to be found but it aint so right now.

When I watched Eternals replay I thought the wind looked mostly straight as well though it was much stronger at 16mph.

• eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Tue, Feb 23 2010 5:50 AM

i'll accept it as a normal result and bad Golf. but as Jayjon said mentioned just looking at the replay it seemed to deviate more than usual with an almost straight wind. hopefully the ball broke of the few twigs so it will clear the tree next time.

@Jayjonbeach - I'm not one to discuss "VEM". WGT have denied its existence in the current programme so this thread wasn't created to blame any VEM system. I was just merely posting in "bug log" , as advised,  of what I thought was a deviation that was worthy of a report. thanks to the fellow players (jim and doug) who gracefully pointed out  my mistake not WGT's.

so please take this as a nice encouragement to not post in forums VEM allegations

take care 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Feb 23 2010 6:07 AM

I think ES's scenario might be a good example of the difference between an errant shot and a real deviation. How many shots like this has WGT looked at in bug reports and said "user error"? I think our own expectations of expected results are the biggest cause of calling a result a deviation.

By way of example, ES just barely missed hitting the ding and got surprised but it has been pointed out in other threads that if you miss the ding on the side of the wind direction the shot immediately takes off in that direction. You might not think this is the way it should be but this is the way the game plays. 

This isn't to say there aren't deviations but maybe they aren't as frequent as perceived. JMO

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Feb 23 2010 6:56 AM

Yeah guys I would agree with that overall assessment that a big pile of perceived deviations are actually just normal mishits and the lack of precision of the club, especially combined with the wind.  Nivlac made a good explaination of it not that long ago. 

Sometimes though, like a 3mph wind, you just know a deviation when it happens aint anything but normal. 

ES WGT never denied anything about the VEM at all.  They did speak up and say "equipment" was NOT being manipulated after you bought it or something to that effect.  The VEM most certainly exists as the patents that were filed would show though it could only be an idea right now for all we know and not even developed.  The words "the VEM is not being used" however were never spoken so right now no one knows for sure whether its being used or not and most people have attributed the long speculated on "beast" as being the VEM now named "vemmie".  

Sorry for bringing it up in your thread at any rate, its just when deviations get mentioned its an automatic association for most people since the patent discovery. 

Cheers and happy hitting

RSS