Forums

Help › Forums

Firm greens

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 24 2024 1:50 PM (8 replies)
  • CaptRon48
    185 Posts
    Fri, Apr 19 2024 6:52 AM

Was wondering which courses have the firmest greens and/or is it even more complex and green firmness varies within each course?

• RogerSpacey
    92 Posts
    Sat, Apr 20 2024 3:14 PM

CaptRon48:

Was wondering which courses have the firmest greens and/or is it even more complex and green firmness varies within each course?

firmness=green speed.If you in a practice round, you can set the speed. In ranked rounds or tournaments, it will be set by the game. And I think your tier might have something to do with it, but after all this time, who can remember. :-)

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Tue, Apr 23 2024 9:25 AM

+1,

and green speed is set by the highest tier in a game (except practice rounds). It's raised with the tiers except for Pro and Master. For us Legends, the standard speed is "tournament", stimp 12.

• SamSpayed
    4,909 Posts
    Tue, Apr 23 2024 10:29 AM

CaptRon48:

In my experience, the British courses (St. Andrews and Royal St. Georges) have the firmest greens.  Approach shots there, even with full backspin, tend to roll out more.  Maybe it has something to do with the lack of trees.

I do believe that green firmness (as opposed to green speed) does vary with each course.  

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,511 Posts
    Wed, Apr 24 2024 9:24 AM

SamSpayed:
    Maybe it has something to do with the lack of trees.

They call these kinds of courses "links", don't they?

SamSpayed:
    I do believe that green firmness (as opposed to green speed) does vary with each course.

I agree. And green ondulations greatly vary from one course to the other as well.

• BlackBogey
    285 Posts
    Wed, Apr 24 2024 10:07 AM

SamSpayed:

CaptRon48:

In my experience, the British courses (St. Andrews and Royal St. Georges) have the firmest greens.  Approach shots there, even with full backspin, tend to roll out more.  Maybe it has something to do with the lack of trees.

I agree also.  If you had 2 nearly identical shots, say 150yds with 0 elevation and 5mph wind from 12:00, and hit an 8 iron 100% with full backspin on each, I think the one on RSA/StA is going to roll out slightly farther than on say BPB or any of the US parkland courses.  Slightly farther, by maybe a yd or two, but still farther.  And like Simon says, all depends on the particular swale or hump you hit.  I also find Pinehurst to be one of the "firmer" US courses, and it just happens to also be a Links style course so that follows.

• CaptRon48
    185 Posts
    Wed, Apr 24 2024 11:53 AM

Thanks to both Sam and Black Bogey, they were type of answers I was hoping for.

• BlackBogey
    285 Posts
    Wed, Apr 24 2024 1:40 PM

CaptRon48:

Thanks to both Sam and Black Bogey, they were type of answers I was hoping for.

Glad you actually read my post and got something out of it CaptRon48, instead of just glossing over it figuring there's no useful info, like HamdenPro usually does 🤣.

Just kidding Steph, haven't seen you around lately, hope all is well!

• SamSpayed
    4,909 Posts
    Wed, Apr 24 2024 1:50 PM

BlackBogey:
    Glad you actually read my post and got something out of it CaptRon48, instead of just glossing over it figuring there's no useful info

You're awesome, Jay.  Keep doing what you're doing 🍺

RSS