Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Time expiration MSG of DOOM

rated by 0 users
Tue, Oct 18 2011 9:36 AM (4 replies)
  • Draklems
    224 Posts
    Tue, Oct 18 2011 7:21 AM

Awhile back (Apr 30 2011) putting for a birdie on the last hole in a tourney, I was literally waiting to click the return 'DING' and received the dreaded 'Time Expired For This Tourney' Message of Doom.

I chalked it up as experience, but since then I've heard 2 identical stories from 2 of my fellow CC'ers. Both of my CC'ers received the tourney expiration Message of Doom (in separate tourneys) on the last stroke of the last hole.

Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not. So I'm curious and wanted to ask the question here: Is the time expiration warning and consequential elimination from a tourney round, delayed purposely through programming for the last hole (or last put), or do you get it at the exact time the tourney time expires?

To postulate, if the expiration time message of doom is delayed through programming, people would use more of their paid balls, thus increasing WGT's revenue from new balls purchased. I'm really hoping that's not the case though, because that would be unethical imo.   

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Oct 18 2011 8:22 AM

No warning at all.

I/e, if you start the tourney 1 minute before it ends, you play through until the last putt.

Sucks, yes.

• Draklems
    224 Posts
    Tue, Oct 18 2011 9:02 AM

O really. I think that's unethical and bad business, and I'll try to explain why.

Since the current programming that does not notify a player of a tourney expiration at the time they are in that particular round, it can and does create situations where a player is using their paid balls without knowing it's for not. So basically you're spending a limited paid resource purchased from WGT, without WGT notifying you that's what you're spending your purchase on has expired, and you will be eliminated from that event (round). A player should have that information displayed immediately, to be able to make and informed choice as whether to continue.

A more fair and ethical way to ensure a player's paid resources are used in a manner they intended, would be one; to change the programming so that your WGT round cancels immediately, or two, minimally inform the player that their round has been nullified.

It's a no-brainer imo. Yeah, you can put the onus on the player and say it's their problem for overlooking the time requirement, but that point do not address the concerning lack of information being provided to the player in real time. When you're playing in something in real-time, you should see real time information especially considering you're using a limited paid resource while doing it.

Take all that into consideration and the fact that WGT obviously benefits more financially from a player continuing to spend their resources, the ethical thing to do from a business standpoint is to minimally inform a player that their round has been nullified. What do you think WGT?

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Oct 18 2011 9:28 AM

I agree, in haste I've entered CC tourney's and thought there was 12 hours left, and then realized it was 12 minutes...

But, it's like bumping your head on that board...only need to do it once to remember not to do it again;)

• zelg
    332 Posts
    Tue, Oct 18 2011 9:36 AM

not sure just once would do it some of us are real hard headed , may take several times to beat it into my head.

RSS