• PAGES
  • Th0maz700
    485 Posts
    Tue, Nov 12 2019 1:46 AM

Well, experienced or not, i appriciate the advice, thanx guys

• middbrew
    318 Posts
    Tue, Nov 12 2019 3:11 PM

I rarely hit the ding, but I'll get close. Early in playing once in a while I get wild and miss the ding a lot. How I'd work through that was to use the starter/stock ball for a few holes or rounds. When going back to the better balls with a slower meter it was very easy to get close again. 

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Nov 12 2019 4:49 PM

I'm STILL not a very good putter, but it was a revelation that in order to make sense of the dots you need to have some idea of how long it will take the putt to get to the hole. Time the dot movement based on that. DIff speeds? Pick the average speed dot to time. 

On flattish tourney greens, a 6 foot putt takes 2 seconds, and a 10 footer takes 3. Putting downhill takes longer, because of the softer hit. Uphill doesn't make much difference as long as you are adding the two extra feet of power to keep from coming up short. 

Putts longer than that? Improve approaches. Still not good, but don't 3 putt that much anymore, unless the good old wind VEM has left me a first putt of 40+. 

All of this is just a simpler variation on GOLD's Method. 

• Th0maz700
    485 Posts
    Tue, Nov 12 2019 5:02 PM

JimbeauC:

I'm STILL not a very good putter, but it was a revelation that in order to make sense of the dots you need to have some idea of how long it will take the putt to get to the hole. Time the dot movement based on that. DIff speeds? Pick the average speed dot to time. 

On flattish tourney greens, a 6 foot putt takes 2 seconds, and a 10 footer takes 3. Putting downhill takes longer, because of the softer hit. Uphill doesn't make much difference as long as you are adding the two extra feet of power to keep from coming up short. 

Putts longer than that? Improve approaches. Still not good, but don't 3 putt that much anymore, unless the good old wind VEM has left me a first putt of 40+. 

All of this is just a simpler variation on GOLD's Method. 

You have very sound advice here, the best thing about my game is putting and i put pretty much anything now from 7f, it is my way to getting on the green that troubles and frustrates me. I putt pretty much by feel, the calculators are ok, but i don´t trust them entirely, so i go with my own judgement mostly. 

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Tue, Nov 12 2019 5:06 PM

Th0maz700:

Hi all

I am at a popint now where i can´t improve my game at all, it only seems to get worse. My enemy number one is back, impatience, so i rush my game at times and keep making stupid mistakes, but that is something i need to work with, although in my 49 years i have never learned to handle my impatience...

But nr two i hope to get help with, hitting the ding... I have tried many balls and the meter speed isall from fastest possible to slowest possible and i miss equally bad on all speeds. 40% to the left, 40% to the right and  20% dings on a VERY good day. Out of bounds is also a practice sometimes when i miss by 1cm, typically to the right. 

Any input is appriciated, alternative is i keep loosing interest in a game i really like...

Hi,

If ya want to hit as many dings as possible then shop around re the best Browser & Flash version combo that works for you. What you want to look out for is no micro-lag as some Browsers are prone to this which is a killer on say a dead straight putt & you putt a good click on it but it registers a nanosecond later & then burns the edge of the hole :(

The weird thing that i find is when i've an average ding rate of between 55 - 66% i have some of my best rounds but if i hit a ding rate of between mid 70's to low 80's i seem to have an average to poor round

Example, only shot a -6 tonight

So if you can get the ding rate above 50% & close to mid 60's you'll be more than alright

Ken

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Wed, Nov 13 2019 10:11 AM

Case in point, a 20% lower ding rate but better round

• Alan11855
    16 Posts
    Wed, Nov 13 2019 12:54 PM

I have found that hitting the “ding” is important as hitting off of it also affects distance. Taking wind into account I just aim left or right of target.

My tee shots are generally okay, as well as approach shots, especially since I replaced my irons with a high lofted set.

My issue is putting too! I purchased an Odyssey Sabertooth putter which I find very difficult to use. I’m missing more putts now than with the starter putter!

Can anyone explain the “precision, balance and forgiveness” numbers? I figured a higher forgiveness number would be just that, giving you  a break on accuracy.

Much thanks!

• PAGES
RSS