Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Factoring distance without the run?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jan 4 2010 6:07 PM (4 replies)
  • Allegatoreye
    1 Posts
    Tue, Oct 27 2009 5:03 PM

Is there a way to change the distance calculator so it doesn't factor in the run of the ball? I can actually live with it on drivers and hybrids, but irons??!!!??!

I would really love to know how far I can actually hit the ball before it lands, just like in real golf. No golfer would ever make an attempt to clear a water hazard or sand trap if they didn't know how long they can carry the ball. Why does this game assume its not important?

IMO run should not be included in the distance calculator. All the extra distance from run should be based on spin and what type of grass the ball is hit.

There are enough factors in golf to still make it challenging even if we can tell how far we can clear when we hit the ball.

Hopefully its just an option that I have yet to discover and I can simply click a box and make the distance calculator actually useful.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Oct 27 2009 5:25 PM

Actually, AllegatorEye, this would run contrary to WGT's stated purpose with the game.

They are aiming for realism here... this is why they won't make a graduated swing-meter, etc, because they do not wish to turn WGT into "Protractor Golf".

In the same vein, they have stated that they would not implement a 'gimmie' feature for putts less than 6" for the same reason... The "feel" of the game.

So, you have a club in your bag that is listed at 165.  You get to guess how much to give/take for wind, elevation, lie, strength, etc.. then, after all that, even if you guess correctly and hit the perfect shot, they (WGT) has one more surprise for you....

.... the beast.

You get good by guessing... just as in real golf.

Peace.

• Paradox28
    3 Posts
    Mon, Jan 4 2010 12:24 PM

you don't get good by guessing in real golf..you get good by knowing exactly how far each club will carry if you hit it a certain way.

If WGT were shooting for realism, the clubs wouldn't be so short to begin with.  a 9 iron 110 yards with what..90 carry?  What golfer does that?  A 220 yard driver that may reach that wind the wind is trailing and you get downhill roll? 

• twichipper
    424 Posts
    Mon, Jan 4 2010 4:35 PM
    this might help your distance.if you replay,and watch where your ball hits.then you can make yourself a chart for each club you have.try and see
  • chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Mon, Jan 4 2010 6:07 PM

Paradox28:

you don't get good by guessing in real golf..you get good by knowing exactly how far each club will carry if you hit it a certain way.

If WGT were shooting for realism, the clubs wouldn't be so short to begin with.  a 9 iron 110 yards with what..90 carry?  What golfer does that?  A 220 yard driver that may reach that wind the wind is trailing and you get downhill roll? 

Correct sorry snaik but when i was fit and well golf was a big thing for me as in Australia our weather allows us to play all year round.i played from+5 so i was pretty good, if i hit 10 drives 9 would go within reason where i wanted them to.But it doesnt happen here ive done charts ,kept notes and there is something wrong.I guess its the beast that those in the KNOW keep talking about.I guess this so called reality golf game will do till i recover then ill be back playing consistent real rounds where mistakes are my own fault and not that of a bug or glitch.

Living in this great sunny land sitting in front of a pc will not be a past time.

PS.My real set of pings is far better than any virtual set , they react the same every game within reason unlike my V2PROS lmao.

gg CSC

pss. as for guessing do you think pro golfers pay there caddys to guess your talking through your a$$ again

RSS