Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Callaway clubs

rated by 0 users
Sun, Mar 17 2019 11:10 AM (2 replies)
  • Bullet10162
    99 Posts
    Sat, Mar 16 2019 1:17 PM

I'm having trouble with my Callaway clubs on the courses.  I have mapped my clubs at least 3 times on Bethpage #10 in low wind and them come out about the same or close to it, but when I play the courses my balls come up very short or long, I could have a east  or western wind and it will still be short or long, head and tailwind same problem if not worst. The only club I don't have mapped correctly is my 3 iron 95 to 100% because there is no course without tee that is long enough to get a good enough read, I tried St Andy #1 but to much up and down hill (going back and forth) and can't get a good low wind. They put in Wolf Creek and all courses got worst than before except Pinehurst No. 2. Does anyone know something I can do to fix my range problem? I  have to add or subtract extra when I'm out on practice course even then they come out super long or short, some I can count wind and some I can't, instead of getting better I'm getting worst.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sat, Mar 16 2019 3:34 PM

I map most of my clubs from the tee at Kiawah #1 with low wind, practice mode.  I can do all tee shots down to the wedges.  I then get just barely on the fairway and map all the clubs for fairway shots.  I do both of these sets for neutral, full back, and full top spin.  I find some slight differences in the distances achieved from some tees vs from the fairways.

At this point I have clubs mapped for very low wind (I usually start/end the practice rounds until I get very low wind with little head or tail component).

Wind is a different matter - there are several calculations around for calculating wind effects that are described on the forums.  Those are applied to the distances developed from mapping.

Then there is just a lot of practice - and I keep a lot of notes about what happens during play (distances, etc).  The least amount of headwind or tailwind affects your distance, and the combination of wind direction and type of spin also make a big effect.  For example, full backspin will fly the ball further, and stop it sooner after it hits.  Do that in a tailwind and the distance increases very noticeably.  Top spin will fly the ball less but usually increase the roll.

There is a lot to consider for every shot!

On a side note, I would ditch the 3H and get a good 64 deg wedge.  Learning wedge shots to the green will save strokes!!

• Bullet10162
    99 Posts
    Sun, Mar 17 2019 11:10 AM

thanks Doc, I will give this a try, I hope using the 64 deg wedge helps with the green shots, again thanks.

RSS