Forums

Help › Forums

Re: VUSAm Video!

Mon, Oct 15 2018 11:57 AM (25 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2018 8:53 AM

ItsTooSweet:

Just about every time I have asked Fmags about a shot or how he shoots he tells me he doesn't use calculations and plays by feel, but every time I see him take a shot in the video he uses a calculator.

If you watch how how he uses it he's just doing what many do in their heads-converting yards/feet/elevation numbers into a single one. Then he puts it down.

I suspect he does this simply to be accurate every time. It's real easy to transpose numbers in your head or make simple addition/subtraction errors and his way just assures that won't happen.

• Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2018 8:57 AM

Watched it on youtube a while ago, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPiq_LEdcs8.

Good to see and well done to both players and all involved.

Don't know if Naturali reads the forums or not but was just curious why he didn't have a go at holing the bunker shot on 14 for the half, albeit it  looked mighty difficult from there.

Good to watch these games, hopefully see more in the future, congrats to all involved.

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2018 9:51 AM

YankeeJim:

ItsTooSweet:

Just about every time I have asked Fmags about a shot or how he shoots he tells me he doesn't use calculations and plays by feel, but every time I see him take a shot in the video he uses a calculator.

If you watch how how he uses it he's just doing what many do in their heads-converting yards/feet/elevation numbers into a single one. Then he puts it down.

I suspect he does this simply to be accurate every time. It's real easy to transpose numbers in your head or make simple addition/subtraction errors and his way just assures that won't happen.

Sounds easier than my game. I figure the gravitational pull of the golf course times the distance of the moon, then you take the magnetic field divided by the cosine of the club and avatar length (changes if you're wearing a sweater though be careful), then you take the timezone offset divided by the inferno ball effect. Pretty simple really. This formula works best when I play in my underwear for some reason.

A lot of pressure playing in those conditions, I probably what have been so nervous I never would have hit the ding. Props to Mags and Naturali.

• Naturali
    684 Posts
    Sun, Oct 14 2018 7:04 PM

Nicole161106:

Don't know if Naturali reads the forums or not but was just curious why he didn't have a go at holing the bunker shot on 14 for the half, albeit it  looked mighty difficult from there.

You're right. There was a chance. The odds were about like hitting the lotterey and being stuck by lightning at the same time. I've been there 100 times it seems like. I could have flown it in or got a miracle stop and drop off the pin. More likely I would have tried to play it too cute and hit the top of the bunker and rolled back to my feet. But, you're right, there was that chance.

Honeslty, it was just a split second decision after missing the ding wildly late on the 2 previous shots. I was broken, beaten, disgusted and demoralized, lol.

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2018 7:47 AM

pmm711:

Mags uses different balls on different courses. His use of spin, or lack thereof, is based on his vast experience under all playing conditions.  

people use back spin way too much in this game, good to read someone else doesn't go mad with backspin all the time, best sentence I've read in a long time

• Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2018 11:57 AM

Thanks for your answer, can understand your frustration there.

Amazingly, that's maybe the only bunker i haven't been in, in all of wgt lol, so was curious to see what shot and result would be.

Naturali:

Nicole161106:

You're right. There was a chance. The odds were about like hitting the lotterey and being stuck by lightning at the same time. I've been there 100 times it seems like. I could have flown it in or got a miracle stop and drop off the pin. More likely I would have tried to play it too cute and hit the top of the bunker and rolled back to my feet. But, you're right, there was that chance.

Honeslty, it was just a split second decision after missing the ding wildly late on the 2 previous shots. I was broken, beaten, disgusted and demoralized, lol.

RSS