Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Callaway steelhead L85

Mon, Jun 18 2018 7:29 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SauloMagno
    57 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 11:04 AM

I rent this clubs in free wekend rent and see a difference in mapping vs PingG25 with same balls (Srixon Lv 11) and same wind (+1) in Kiawah.

Distance in  Calla Lv85 Iron 5 (190) is +2.5% with NoSpin (MidSpin, really)

This plus is decreasing exponentielly until PW when is practically imperceptible.

May be precision have something here, but guess that .5 spin difference is a determining factor, and if i'm right, that affect really more in tailwind and headwind.

I have to said I expected more from the H3 (220) than in the tests gave me just an average of 203 (Carry) + 24 (Roll) with MidSpin, I must try it more to see if I can get used to those long shots where my W3 85 - 90% is making a decent job yet.

Anyway, I think that this Lv85 irons is a "Must to Have" since getting from here to Lv97 are like two years at my pace ...

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 9:11 AM

SauloMagno:

I rent this clubs in free wekend rent and see a difference in mapping vs PingG25 with same balls (Srixon Lv 11) and same wind (+1) in Kiawah.

Distance in  Calla Lv85 Iron 5 (190) is +2.5% with NoSpin (MidSpin, really)

This plus is decreasing exponentielly until PW when is practically imperceptible.

May be precision have something here, but guess that .5 spin difference is a determining factor, and if i'm right, that affect really more in tailwind and headwind.

I have to said I expected more from the H3 (220) than in the tests gave me just an average of 203 (Carry) + 24 (Roll) with MidSpin, I must try it more to see if I can get used to those long shots where my W3 85 - 90% is making a decent job yet.

Anyway, I think that this Lv85 irons is a "Must to Have" since getting from here to Lv97 are like two years at my pace ...

I had those irons for about a year, till I upgraded. It’s a bit of work to map new clubs, and a new ball, but it helps in speeding up your game. 

• thc4roj
    5 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 12:27 PM

I to have recently upgraded to the callys from the pings and i think they are miles better. And way more forgiving, which was the major downfall of the pings. As i only use cheap 10c balls or freebies i wasnt a prolific dinger which with the pings used to effect distance badly. So far with the callys i have found they hold distance very well if you miss ding. They will serve me well for a long time now. Enjoy them !!

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 7:29 PM

SauloMagno:

They're nice irons, but I prefer the L90s for the added spin if you can handle the meter speed. If you don't have many credits, the L85s are more manageable with cheaper balls.

• PAGES
RSS