Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Just call me Sandy.....

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 9 2011 6:30 PM (6 replies)
  • tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Jun 8 2011 7:25 PM

Many of you may recall the British Open in 1985, I think. This was the year that Sandy Lyle became the first British player since Tony Jacklin to win the tournament. Royal St George's was the course and my lasting memory was Lyle down on his knees and thumping his sand iron to the ground after his pitch shot rolled back down off the green on 18. He thought he'd lost the championship that moment. He then managed to get down in two for a bogey and just held off Payne Stewart for the win.

1985.aspx?eventid=1985019&view=year

Now I know a bit of how he felt.......

From the 7th to the 14th I covered the holes in -11, 3 eagles in 8 holes including back to back on 7 & 8. On the 18th tee I was -15 and a bit nervy if I'm honest. However I hit a good drive and was left with 130 yards to the pin. I hit in my wedge and pulled it a bit. It rolled down the side of the green. At no point did I recall Sandy Lyle's agony. The minute I hit my pitch.....the memories came flooding back, lol.

A really desperate way to end a fantastic round. I'll cry myself to sleep if the cut gets to 56.....

• wildcat18racing6
    420 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:14 AM

Just one word.........ouch

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 10:36 AM

wildcat18racing6:

Just one word.........ouch

"Ouch" isn't the word I would have used.. but then again, I can't print it here and not be in violation of the T&C...

Other than that, Tiffer, outstanding round there.  Still think you'll make the cut.

• StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 10:59 AM

I think my very good friend Tiffer is now officially in rarified air.  He is now playing a game with which I am not familiar.

I think the Deviations folks and all the spooky great ones on here should give Tiffer the magic pinky ring and tell him where the secret clubhouse is....he has arrived!

Well done Tiff !

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 11:07 AM

Thanks guys. It's still a bit sore today, I never even doubted for a second I could drop one shot from where I was on the fairway, never mind 2 shots.

It was just one of those rounds that happen once in a blue moon..... 

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 1:27 PM

Hey! .. I shot a 56 once! ...  It was the best day of my life!

Then, on the back nine..... 

/rimshot

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 6:30 PM

Wow GREAT round Tiffer....!!   BB is looken over his shoulder ...LOL

RSS