Forums

Help › Forums

Re: I feel like Mick Jagger, I'm just waiting on a friend!

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 24 2009 5:49 AM (9 replies)
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 1:38 PM

(lol) I've been playing for a week and I have gotten no friend invites and no friend accepts. Is this customary on WGT? Do people only play with their real life friends? My average is now 75.15 and has been as low as 73.97, That's saying a lot using WGT equipment. I totally suck at the skills challenge too. I want to upgrade, But i don't have a credit card. So now I can go two places with my average, Stay where I'm at, Or start going south. WGT is certainly thee best golf game on the net, Bar none. Can anyone say their a master using WGT equipment?

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 1:55 PM

Welcome...Can't say that I know of anyone who has made it to Master with beginner clubs but you might be surprised what those clubs can do with some practice.  It should be noted that, in my humble opinion, the original driver does put you at a big disadvantage to what is now available in the pro shop.  I just sent this message to a to a newbie on another tread and it bares repeating.   In part, it reads:

I am sure, if you like golf as much as I do, you will love this site. And although you can buy upgraded virtual equipment right away, my advise is to give your free equipment a chance and learn how it is used.  That will help you decide if and when its time to upgrade and what equipment you want to try.  But you can do some amazing things with those starter clubs if you give them a chance.  Depending on how competitive you are, you will know what to do when the time comes.

As for me, although I upgraded all my clubs last June, I will still use the WGT starter irons on occasion.  I have also had success using the 60ft scale for all of my putts...it was like getting a free upgrade when I figured that out (wink). 

Its good to have your computer set up properly, but I am not one to give advise on that...but I have had success simply by switching browsers.  Also, there are a lot of good guys and gals that are happy to give advice so post your questions whenever you need help. 

Joey

PS: Of course all this depends on what you want out of this game and how far you want to go. Also, you will begin to notice players that are doing some pretty amazing things and posting some pretty amazing scores...Don't get discouraged, keep in mind most of them have been playing the game for a long time...you'll get there.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 1:57 PM

Looking at your profile you have not played any multiplayer rounds.

Just sending people friend invites with out playing with them will not work. Myself if I get an invite from someone that I have never played with (ladder excepted) I automatically decline.

Join the ladder (see my blog) and you will find many people wanting to play.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 1:59 PM

There are some peoplel who have made Master with the starter gear... but I will warn you, it will take some serious time, effort and practice on your part to get there.

In the end, though, the game is still free and can be played that way.  Although most of us ( I can't speak for all ) see upgrading our equipment as a win-win situation.  We get a club, or set, that is a little longer and/or a little more accurate, and WGT gets a bit of cash to keep the lights on and pay the programmers to do a bit more.

As for your friends list.. join multi-player games and just make friends.  You could also join the ladders at www.wgt.agls.org.uk.  Lots of friends  (and a few foes) can be found there.

Peace.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 2:02 PM

Thank you kindly for that friend, Your a gentleman indeed. And thanks for that putting tip, It should work just fine.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 2:04 PM

Right on Snaike! will do.

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 3:01 PM

1 week to make Pro with the WGT clubs. You're too good for me, but if you see me online add as friend & send an invite, I'll do the same. I prefer Kiawah Island & usually only have time for 9.

BTW the 60' & 150' have helped my putting distance a little. It's definitely a good tip. Just have to remember to change scale. As for aiming it's back to the tutorials.

Sorry I can't get on the game you've set up.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 3:19 PM

It's impossible to hit the green on holes 7, 11, 15, and 16 on the Bethpage course using WGT equipment, Par is possible though. Try it  and see if you can do it. By the way. I'm using a GI-D ball.

• aeronca
    1 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 5:32 AM

is this a nigerian scheme to get people to give you their credit card so you can buy virtual equipment?

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 5:49 AM

That's pretty good. (lol) The answer is no. I'm not clever enough to hatch a scheme like that. It was however clever enough to get people like you to respond.  :  )

RSS