Forums

Help › Forums

Re: How to deal with the randomness

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 18 2011 6:12 PM (9 replies)
  • Kroneg
    4 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2011 5:10 PM

Title pretty much says it all.  How do you deal with the randomness of ball distance and direction? 

I know lie/elevation/wind all effect things, but I'm talking straight shots (getting the center "ping" sound) with no wind that hook/slice anyway.  Another example: club length says 215 on my driver, but I've had it go anywhere from 180 to 250 off the tee - ON the fairway (not into a bunker or anything).  Is it absolutely required to get better clubs/balls in order to just hit it as the numbers actually say?  Really don't feel like dropping money only to find "better" clubs do the same thing.  (Please don't suggest surveys - they don't appear to be a viable option - took me over an hour to get one survey accepted/finished.  75 cents an hour doesn't cut it.) 

Disclosure: yes, I'm a newb and I suck.  My average is something like a 140 and if there's a bunker nearby I'm 99% guaranteed to hit it.  However, it's VERY difficult to get "better" when the ball seems to fly randomly so I never know what I should do differently. So, back to the original question: what do I have to do?

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2011 6:57 PM

Get the better clubs and balls you will be rewarded with lots of practice.  Good Luck...and don't forget ... the ding is king...

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2011 7:16 PM

There are EZ Swing clubs in the pro shop, FREE rental, and the driver is rated at 225 that should get you you to the fairways.  In fact, you can rent the entire set...precision is not good but its an idea.   

Suggest you also try playing more rated rounds...which is the only way to lower your scoring average for tier advancement.  Closest to the Hole, although fun for beginners, does not lower your average.  When available, the FREE Starter clubs, which will also give you more distance, are yours to keep.  As an Amateur, you'll receive 50 credits you can use toward buying better clubs and balls.  

Understand there is no free lunch here...everyone I know, who have been really successful playing the game, has paid their dues upgrading equipment, buying premium balls and wasting an awful lot of time here (wink)...or at least has done some of those things.  So take some time an learn how this site works to see if it is right for you...more info in the Getting Started and FAQ Home over there------->

Joey   

• Kroneg
    4 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2011 8:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, however...

The EZ Swing clubs are the one-click type - they don't do anything that I'm not doing except hit the "ping" mark 100% of the time (I'm at about 50%).  I have the Starter clubs, but the swing meter is simply unusable on these (for me at least).  So, I'm stuck using the Beginner clubs.  So, is that the answer then: since the Beginner clubs have Zero precision I have to live with wild shots randomly happening?

Example of a round I just played:
    1) Club was 175 yards, was on the fairway, hit the "ping" line - ball went 121 yards.
    2) Bunker next to green, wind straight out, aimed left of hole, well left of bunker, hit the "ping" line - ball goes in the bunker.
    Granted, this is only 2 out of the 9 holes, but it shows the sheer randomness of the ball.

As for "rated rounds" - how?  When a practice round (don't know if that's rated or not) shows in the "WGT Suggests" window I select it.  If not, I have to select a tourney to play.  The only one's it'll let me in are closest to the hole ones.  Others give me a "your country does not allow you in this tourney" message, or I try to start a round and the game just sits there and hangs and I can't play anything.

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 1:07 AM

Kroneg:
    As for "rated rounds" - how?  When a practice round (don't know if that's rated or not) shows in the "WGT Suggests" window I select it.  If not, I have to select a tourney to play.  The only one's it'll let me in are closest to the hole ones.  Others give me a "your country does not allow you in this tourney" message, or I try to start a round and the game just sits there and hangs and I can't play anything.

In the WGT play window (the one that opens when you click PLAY NOW), select STROKE PLAY. The GAME MODE should be pre-set to 'Ranked' - if it shows 'Practice', click on either of the arrow heads to change mode to Ranked.

Pick your course, and have fun.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 1:21 AM

Kroneg:
    So, is that the answer then: since the Beginner clubs have Zero precision I have to live with wild shots randomly happening?

Unless you are having a problems with your system, you are experiencing what all new players experience.  The FREE clubs have poor precision so even DING shoots will not necessarily always go straight.  Keep in mind the Beginner swing meter is extremely slow...if you get used to it, even the some what slow Starter meter will seem fast at first.  You can purchase premium balls to slow the Starters (which is part of the game around here).  Other than that, you'll need to practice with the Starters to get use to them or you'll never get very far and be frustrated with the Beginner Clubs.

Kroneg:
    As for "rated rounds" - how? 

Practice rounds are not rated or ranked rounds.  You can play rated rounds by going to the MAIN MENU, EXPLORE COURSES, ALL COURSES then select one of the 4 stroke play venues (Oakmont, Bethpage, St. Andrews or Kaiwah Island)...then click on STROKE PLAY and set the GAME MODE to RANKED.  

Kroneg:
    The only one's it'll let me in are closest to the hole ones.  Others give me a "your country does not allow you in this tourney" message, or I try to start a round and the game just sits there and hangs and I can't play anything.

You could be from a State where premium tournaments are not allowed.  But as I understand this, you should be able to play in FREE ranked stroke play tournaments.  For those, go to the MAIN MENU, TOURNAMENTS, STROKE PLAY then click on one of the FREE TOURNAMENTS and check eligibility.   

I hope this helps...

Joey

• Kroneg
    4 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 4:00 AM

Joey - thanks for the detailed advise.  I'll see if I can get the starter clubs to behave and try setting my rounds to rated.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get it going - I really like what I've seen so far, just frustrating that I can't seem to progress.  I should be able to get to the regular tourneys from what you say. Since...

After reading much fine print, it appears Vermont is on the "no-no" list. Strange - I can walk down the street with a loaded handgun (or assault rifle), marry another man (even if he's my cousin), be intimate with a teenage girl (as long as she's old enough to drive) and smoke all the pot I want (as long as I have a Doctor's note), but "play an online golf game"? Nope, that's where we draw the line.

(Forum readers: The preceding paragraph was meant to show the ridiculousness of certain US laws, please don't get upset and/or start flaming.)

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 1:37 PM

Kroneg:
    I'll see if I can get the starter clubs to behave and try setting my rounds to rated.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get it going - I really like what I've seen so far, just frustrating that I can't seem to progress. 

You'll be fine.  Play within yourself and realize it takes time to get better.  Just look at the profiles of your best players, and you'll notice that most of them spend an awful lot of time here.  I've been here nearly 2 years and I'm no where near where I want to be, but I still have fun.  I can't spend the time it takes to get to that level and it's reflected in my play and in my progress...but it does give me a little more time to spend with my family (smile).

Joey

• Kroneg
    4 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 3:25 PM

Thanks again for all your help.  Unfortunately, it took less than half a game to remind me why I ditched the Starter clubs in the first place.  The randomness was even worse.  Part of it was complete failure to hit the "ping" spot, I get that.  But part was just plain whackiness on the game's part.  I actually hit a shot (with a 5-iron mind you) a whopping 2 YARDS!  Seriously?  I thought that was bad until I hit a wedge for an unbelievable 1 YARD.  These were not "miss shots" - I was close (although not "on") the "ping" line.

Nice game potential, but I'm going to be looking for one that actually obeys the laws of physics.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 6:12 PM

Were those shots from the fringe or rough areas near the green?  In fact, you'll find there will be times when even a well struck putt, from the fringe, will not move.  This has been a bone of contention around here for a long long time...even our best players complain about it.  If you find yourself in those situations, try hitting the ball harder than you think you should.  Better to be on the dance floor than staying in the rough or in the fringe.  These issues affect everyone...its the guys that learn to defy physics that are successful.  

Joey  

RSS