Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Closest to the Hole Challenge 5 - Pebble Beach

rated by 0 users
Thu, Feb 24 2011 11:11 AM (9 replies)
  • ArtVandalay
    1 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 11:30 AM

This is the only hole out of the 9 that I cannot get it on the green.  Played about 100 rounds already.  Any suggestions??

• Noobingalltheway
    222 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 11:14 PM

I've never played this CTTH before so thought I'd give it a go. I used a rapture 7 iron (rated 145 yards), full power and full backspin...it rolled further than it should, but I use starter balls (it woulda probably stopped closer if I used spin balls)

I think you're seeing problems because you're using starter clubs - not ideal for hitting close to holes where the green is very narrow, as they don't offer any spin...

Few tips:-

if you are playing with a headwind, use your 6 iron, full backspin. Try it with full power, or adjust down slightly if needed (can't remember exact yardages with those clubs)...(you want to be using just under 150 yards of power as a guestimate)

If with a tailwind, full power on your 7 iron, full backspin should do it

Adjust between the two for crosswinds

Rob

PS: Ignore the scorecard, I just wanted to get to challenge 5...honest!!! Lol

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 12:22 AM

I usually add about 4 yards too, just to clear the bunker. Any way it's the 9th hole that's the stinker for me.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 10:01 AM

piztaker:

I usually add about 4 yards too, just to clear the bunker. Any way it's the 9th hole that's the stinker for me.

Has anyone ever held onto that green? If so I'd like some proof...

• Noobingalltheway
    222 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 10:11 AM

Doodles - proof is above in my post.... challenge 5 it says "green" lol

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 11:11 AM

SgtDoodles:

piztaker:

Has anyone ever held onto that green? If so I'd like some proof...

Here is my Pebble Beach scorecard. Not my best but held the green on 5 and 9. On 5 I used my 145yd iron with full backspin. A 11mph full power shot "into" the wind there is really what will help you. If your hitting into a crosswind then I would hit it at about 140ys or so. On 9 I used my 210yd iron with "almost" full backspin and full power. Aim to the right to compensate for the wind and provided you ding the shot it should fall right before the green and then roll up and should stop somewhere around the pin. Closest I ever got was 2.3ft from the pin a little bit earlier. Good luck to all.

• Noobingalltheway
    222 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 1:05 PM

Yoda79:
    I used my 145yd iron with full backspin. A 11mph full power shot "into" the wind there is really what will help you. If your hitting into a crosswind then I would hit it at about 140ys or so

Hmm, you used my tips...I claim that scorecard as my own ;-)

• BirdieButton
    164 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 1:15 PM

I  sunk it just now #5  in blitz.  I used a NINE IRON.  Simples.

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 2:34 PM

bltz and CTTH arent the same....its a very difficult shot @ the op...u need a lot of luck(doing that on nine shots is tough) unless of course you have high trajectory clubs and callaway balls...which i dont entertain...but 91 aint to bad wiv starters!

i get two choices....140 or 152 neither of which is just quite right.....but i have stuck it within 3 ft!

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Thu, Feb 24 2011 11:11 AM

I use a 137 yard 8iron and it works. HA!

RSS