Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Uneven Lies Ryder Cup @ Chambers Bay: Oct2015

Thu, Nov 12 2015 5:08 AM (315 replies)
  • frenchconnect
    832 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2015 2:31 PM

I will be unavailable to play this saturday, the 17th, unless its between the hours 10am-3pm est. Thanks, 

Jon

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2015 2:39 PM

ColumbusStorm:
    I have 2 outstanding request to poolmanic6 and Jerm65 for interest in playing. I am hoping both will now be willing to be alternates.

I'm pleased to report that Jeremy (Jerm65) has indicated his willingness to be an alternate for Team USA, and filled out availability info. Thanks Jeremy!

--------------------------------------------------------

And, I'm delighted to be able to announce the week 1 matches. Thank you everyone, for the updates (very helpful!), and for your flexibility and willingness to do what it takes to make this event work!

I received the team captain's Secret Envelopes of pairings listed in their preferred order, and met online this morning with both team captains Russ (ColumbusStorm) and Geoffrey (JoeMaverick).

We were all very pleasantly surprised to find that the line-up can work for all matches (with a tiny bit of unanimously agreed juggling).

Here are the resulting week 1 Matches:

Please read the suggested times information below and consult the spreadsheet Chart.

It will take everyone's best intentions and clear communication to pull this off! Please pay attention to PMs and this thread, and confirm your matches for precise times and be there as scheduled! Real-life may well interfere, but let's all do our very best to make this work. Thanks!

See detailed instructions below on What to do next... Please also confirm here in the thread when your match is all arranged.

---------------------------------------------

Week 1 (from Sat 10/17 to Mon 10/26) :: FourBall (Best Ball) series with a set of six matches to be played over the back 9 holes at Chambers Bay with the following conditions:

Chambers Bay :: 4-Player Strokeplay :: Practice Mode :: Back 9 :: default pins :: Yellow (Hard) tees :: Championship Green Speed :: High Wind :: Uneven Lies :: 60 second timer

Please note: Matches should end at the 9th, if they haven't ended earlier. You should not play Extra Holes. If match is tied after the 9th hole, then the result is A/S, and each team wins 1/2 pt.

The line-up for the 1st week 4-Player Fourball matches, to be completed by Mon 10/26 will be posted here:

Team USA                     vs                 Team ROW

A ::  Wesdogg75 & fredsf              vs        fmagnets & Wontonamo

B ::  BigKnight & jaycen129          vs        Legaci & Corwyn

C ::  ab1983 & rfpoul                     vs        FairwayRuepel68 & johehejo

D ::  JJ656 & KyRock75                vs         duffputt & JoeMaverick

E ::   frenchconnect & Young46     vs        KonradOse & Daskino

F ::   ColumbusStorm & mmyers0  vs       Priestess
 & Saurabh08

Suggested dates/times for Matches: The spreadsheet shows a bolded and bordered block of 2-3hrs for each match that is the suggested overlap.

A :: The best overlap for the 4 of you is Friday, between midnight-3am UTC (4pm-7pm WGT time). Please schedule for either Fri 10/16 at midnight UTC time (5pm WGT time) --yes, you can start a day early if you all want to, which will give a backup day if there's a snafu -- or Fri 10/23 same time.

... here's a new suggestion for Match A, which is to go for Sunday 10/18 at midnight UTC time (5pm WGT time)

B :: The only overlap for the 4 of you is weekdays, between 4:30-7:30pm UTC (9:30am-12:30pm WGT time). Different players have different best weekdays, so I propose you try for Wed 10/21 at 4:30pm UTC time (9:30am WGT time).

C :: The only overlap for your group of 4 is also weekdays, between 4pm-6pm UTC (9am-11am WGT time). Please schedule for the most suitable day, after Marc (FairwayRuepel68) returns from his trip on 10/19.

D :: Your group can only play on a weekend day. I've PM'd JJ to see if he can start a little earlier, e.g. his 3pm, so that it doesn't go so late for the European pair. Please schedule for 8pm UTC (1pm WGT time) or one hour earlier if possible on either Sat 10/17, or Sun 10/18.

E :: The only overlap for the 4 of you is weekdays. Please schedule for 8pm UTC (1pm WGT time) on Wednesday 10/21, which is Young46's best day. 

F :: The only overlap for the 4 of you is at the weekend. Please schedule for the best overlapping block of time, between 2pm-6pm UTC (7am-11am WGT time) on Sat 10/17 on the first weekend. 

Here is the spreadsheet itself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What to do next?

Send Friend Requests to your playing partner and your opponents from the other team. Either use this forum thread to confirm your matches via public replies (please quote this post and any relevant replies to make it easier to track), or do it all via PMs. [Always post here in the thread so we know you are scheduled.]

This tourney will not work if you rely on just 'catching your partner and opponents green' -- you must schedule a specific time and date, and be there at that time!

The Fourball matches will need to be set up in practice mode. If you have difficulties getting started, try it with a different player sending the game invite: that has helped in the past. Also, please note the Guidelines for what to do in the event of interrupted matches, disconnects, no-shows, etc.

Note that you will be keeping the Matchplay score as you go via the chat: the winning team per hole is the one whose Best-Ball of the 2 players is the lowest.

The ROW team, as reigning Virtual Ryder Cup champions, shall have the honor, and so should set up the matches and be the first pair to tee off.

Please designate one player per match (per team as backup) to capture and share scorecard screenshots in the forum thread. Note that there can be an A/S result, which will mean 1/2 point to each team.

Also, very important: please note, Gimme's are NOT allowed. You must put the ball in the hole!  If anyone does take a Gimme, it'll count as a 10 on your card, so... Don't take a Gimme!

Any questions, please ask here!

Thanks, and good luck to everyone, Corwyn

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2015 2:43 PM

P.S. I am aware that we have the extra challenge of the end of Daylight Saving Time taking place during this tourney... and it happens at different times around the world!!!

So, please do post here to indicate if your clock changes on a particular day and whether it will affect a scheduled match!

Thanks, Corwyn

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2015 10:52 PM

Here's a revision to the plan for Match A:

Team USA                     vs                 Team ROW

A ::  Wesdogg75 & fredsf              vs        fmagnets & Wontonamo

A :: The best overlap for the 4 of you is Friday, between midnight-3am UTC (4pm-7pm WGT time). Please schedule for either Fri 10/16 at midnight UTC time (5pm WGT time) --yes, you can start a day early if you all want to, which will give a backup day if there's a snafu -- or Fri 10/23 same time.

--------

There's a snafu with the best-laid plan for Match A, which is that Tom (Wontonamo) isn't available at the weekend and I'd forgotten that everyone else's Friday evening is of course already his Saturday in Adelaide (Bradman country!). 

Thanks Mags for pointing this out!

So, here's a new suggestion for Match A, which is to go for Sunday 10/18 at midnight UTC time (5pm WGT time):

Wes (Wesdogg75): your 7pm Sun local time.

Fred (fredsf): your 5pm Sun local time.

Mags (fmagnets): your 9pm Sun local time.

Tom (Wontonamo): your 10:30am Mon local time.

Note too that Tom is 10.5hrs ahead of UTC, but the spreadsheet can't display half hour increments.

Please reply here in the thread to confirm that you've seen this change and whether this works for you all. Thanks!

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2015 11:24 PM

Clocks here go forward Sat 18th night just to complicate things. I think that makes it 10pm for me, which is fine.

• Wontonamo
    2,269 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2015 11:26 PM

nice - that should work for me too - ill be back home after dropping my lil one to school.

weekend was out for me - missus' birthday on sunday and gym stuff on Saturday here.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Oct 14 2015 5:02 AM

Thanks Tom and Mags!

Mags, that's super helpful re when the time change happens for you. I've changed your Time Difference on the spreadsheet forward by one hour NOW since you won't be playing before it happens.

And I've found this helpful link if people need something to reference.

• Daskino
    2,781 Posts
    Wed, Oct 14 2015 5:35 AM

Corwyn:
    So, please do post here to indicate if your clock changes on a particular day and whether it will affect a scheduled match!

In most of Europe (in Italy and Germany, too) we'll switch from CEST (UTC+2) to CET (UTC+1) between October 24th and 25th. So it won't affect our four ball match.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Oct 14 2015 9:02 AM

Thanks Lou!

I'm about to post Match by match information on scheduling for Week 1. Please give updates on whether your game is scheduled by quoting the post with your match.

-------------------

for the sake of completeness, here is Match A as well:

MATCH A:

The spreadsheet shows a bolded and bordered block of 2-3hrs for each match that is the suggested overlap.

Here is a zoomed-in snapshot, showing the overlapping time for your group of 4. UTC time is on the top, WGT time in blue on the next row:

MATCH A ::  Wesdogg75 & fredsf              vs        fmagnets & Wontonamo

A :: The best overlap for the 4 of you is Friday, between midnight-3am UTC (4pm-7pm WGT time).

Here's the revised suggestion for Match A, which is to go for Sunday 10/18 at midnight UTC time (5pm WGT time):

Please be careful about which day you schedule (as Tom will be 1 day ahead of Wes, Fred, and Mags).

Wes (Wesdogg75): your 7pm Sunday evening local time.

Fred (fredsf): your 5pm Sunday evening local time.

Mags (fmagnets): your 10pm Sunday evening local time.

Tom (Wontonamo): your 10:30am Monday morning local time.

Note too that Tom is 10.5hrs ahead of UTC, but the spreadsheet can't display half hour increments.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Oct 14 2015 9:03 AM

MATCH B:

The spreadsheet shows a bolded and bordered block of 2-3hrs for each match that is the suggested overlap.

Here is a zoomed-in snapshot, showing the overlapping time for your group of 4. UTC time is on the top, WGT time in blue on the next row:

MATCH B ::  BigKnight & jaycen129          vs        Legaci & Corwyn

B :: The only overlap for the 4 of you is weekdays, between 4:30-7:30pm UTC (9:30am-12:30pm WGT time). Different players have different best weekdays, so I propose you try for Wed 10/21 at 4:30pm UTC time (9:30am WGT time).

The notes for Corwyn show his 9am block really starts at 9:30am, hence this match should start half an hour later than on the grid. (Sadly, the spreadsheet formulas don't work with half hours!)

BigKnight: your 12:30pm local time.

jaycen129: your 11:30am local time.

Ian (Legaci): your 12:30pm local time.

Corwyn: your 9:30am local time.

Backup day is Thu 10/22 same times.

RSS