Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Tier Advancing

Sun, Jan 9 2011 10:07 AM (9 replies)
  • SCPOUSN
    24 Posts
    Fri, Jan 7 2011 5:07 AM

Advancing to the next Tier requires a qualifying Average Score AND a minimum amount of completed stroke play games, which will take a little more time but will help players reach the Levels necessary to unlock upgraded equipment that is helpful to compete at higher Tiers

I believe that a problem exists with the Tier Advancement program.  

Player A - was advanced to Legend in early November.  His current avg is 65.45 and has played 583 ranked rounds.  

Player B - has a current avg of 61.1 and 981 ranked rounds played and is still a Tourmaster.  

The experience levels of these players are very close in proximity, in fact player b is one level higher.  

Player B has been on WGT for almost 1 month longer than Player A.

Since the creation of the new Tier Levels in Sept/Oct bad rounds do not count against a players average, so player A's avg has not gone up since his promotion to Legend.  I understand that WGT is not going to give out the formulas or magic numbers that are set in place for advancing, as this would make it easier for people to make sure they do not advance in order to compete at the lower rank.

This example, which is actual and current is extremely unfair on many different levels.  In my opinion it would appear as though there is a problem with the software that is advancing individuals.  Hopefully, WGT will take action and 1.  Resolve it, or 2. Explain more in detail how advancing up the tier levels works.  

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Fri, Jan 7 2011 7:52 AM

Oh don't worry player B will probably reach legend after the next round he puts in. I have yet to see any tm's with an avg under 61...

• Noobingalltheway
    222 Posts
    Sat, Jan 8 2011 10:15 AM

SCPOUSN:
    Since the creation of the new Tier Levels in Sept/Oct bad rounds do not count against a players average, so player A's avg has not gone up since his promotion to Legend.

I've seen a few people say this, but where's the information came from? It is completely inaccurate. In fact, the opposite is true. 

I advanced to Tour Pro tier, and got my avg down to around 71, played one bad round of 76, which apparently took my AVERAGE to 76...it then took me days to get my average back down to 71 again, because of course, each good round only knocked around 0.2 points off my average.

Almost exact same thing happened to another player yesterday against me in a multi player Stroke play. He had just made master (had an average of 66 point something, played a 38 on the back 9 of Oakmont, and his average is suddenly 76

His Profile

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sat, Jan 8 2011 10:23 AM

It because your average is only based on your scores in your current tier.  It will fluctuate at the beginning of your new tier advancement.  As it is not disclosed, but your average seems to be the   

x best of x amount of rounds.........

once you have enough rounds in, your average should only move down.   This is someways relates to that of the current handicap calculations of the USGA.

Cheers,

b0gey

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Jan 8 2011 10:51 AM

The lower a player brings their average, the lower they'll need to score in order to keep lowering their average. And every-time one lowers their average, the VEM increases making for a greater challenge to keep lowering ones average.

Once a player reaches an average of 62.xx, it takes a round of 31 or better to lower their average just .4 at the least. Anything sub 30 will lower an average .12 or better. This is based on my experience.

• SCPOUSN
    24 Posts
    Sat, Jan 8 2011 10:56 AM

Very interesting Noob, thanks for the info.  If you go to "News" and scroll down you will find the notes from the release that changed the tier levels.  Here is that part I was referring to that bad rounds don't affect your average.  Maybe it is when you advance a new level your avg is affected.  With what you have described.  It sounds as though that may be the case.

AVERAGE SCORES AND TIER ADVANCEMENT -

We’ve made improvements to how your Average Score is calculated and when you advance to the next Tier in WGT. These changes will help players in the same Tier to compete more fairly, and encourage everyone to complete more rounds and earn more experience points so they reach new Levels faster.

• Your Average Score will be based on multiple best scores within ONLY your current Tier, not scores that you shot when in previous Tiers, which better reflects your current skill competing with the tee boxes and green speeds in your current Tier
    • Your Average Score will be based on ONLY your best scores, so completing a bad round will not negatively impact your Average Score or Tier. So be sure to finish all your rounds and gain the extra experience points, as a bad day won’t matter
    • Advancing to the next Tier requires a qualifying Average Score AND a minimum amount of completed stroke play games, which will take a little more time but will help players reach the Levels necessary to unlock upgraded equipment that is helpful to compete at higher Tiers

• Noobingalltheway
    222 Posts
    Sat, Jan 8 2011 2:34 PM

SCPOUSN:
    Maybe it is when you advance a new level your avg is affected.  With what you have described.  It sounds as though that may be the case.

Yeah, read b0geys post just below mine - that makes 100% sense to me (as I said, I'd recently changed tiers, then it got affected - whereas now, I've played a few bad rounds last night and today and it hasn't gone down after any of them).

What b0gey said means that, if you play 100 rounds as a master, it will take the average of your best 20 (for instance) so you can score 80 rounds of 80+ scores, and 20 rounds of 65, and your average will stay at 65 (a little extreme example, but just trying to show a flaw in their measurements)

Rob

• SCPOUSN
    24 Posts
    Sat, Jan 8 2011 7:08 PM

Thank you for your replies.  It makes sense now.  If you think about it, WGT has designed another great way to make money.   I don't blame them, money is money and it's brilliant.  Most, many or some people want to achieve the very best.  WGT has made it more difficult, but allows you to purchase equipment based on the amount of play instead of skill.  I will use myself as an example.  

I'm an average and sometimes above average player.   I love the game and I won't stop playing it.  I have spent a considerable amount of money on balls, clubs, etc. etc.  Not a complaint I have done this by choice.

However, there are players on WGT that have incredible skills playing this game that I will never achieve.  But, I'm retired and can play many hours a day and have purchased equipment that it may take them weeks or more to be able to purchase (Experience Points).  I have been able to purchase the best driver and putter.  The only thing that I can't purchase is the Legend balls.  I'm not sure if that makes up for the yardage advantage that I have off of the tee box.    Actually, it does because 9 of 10 Legends kick my butt most of the time because I suck, but I get lucky on occasion.  However. I hope that WGT will fix this.  Not the fact that I'm not good at this game, but the fact that their attempt to make the game fair has failed miserably.  Equipment purchases should be based on skill and not on amount of play.

Congrats and SHAME ON YOU WGT.  Brilliant in one aspect but, if you ever really cater to your customers, you will make SO MUCH more money and gain much more than money......

• edII
    31 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2011 9:51 AM

Richard4168, Could you tell me what VEM is, I've seen it mentioned on here a few times and have no clue what it means, little help, please? Thanks in advance, edII

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2011 10:07 AM

Ed, these are the patents WGT has secured. You can get an idea of what VEM is, and how it's implemented in this game.

It's widely speculated that this device is, or isn't implemented in the game, but for WGT to secure these patents leads some to believe that it does exist in the game. On December 14, 2009 the game had a vast change that everyone at that time experienced. All the threads that discussed VEM have been locked by WGT.

Use the search-box to the right to search for VEM threads.

RSS