Forums

Help › Forums

Re: 9 hole beth page

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jan 5 2011 12:09 PM (5 replies)
  • docflash9
    47 Posts
    Tue, Jan 4 2011 1:18 PM

Is anyone having difficulty with approach shots on every hole.I try to shape a shot and if I am using an iron rated 130 yds and have a 110 yd shot and shape it for 120 it goes less than 100 everytime.If I go the max it overshoots the pin by at least 15 yds.I know it is not a wind problem.Any suggestions?

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Tue, Jan 4 2011 4:06 PM

It would help to know the particular holes and the wind.    Bethpage has some elevation changes that affect all shots.   

Cheers,

b0gey

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Jan 5 2011 10:36 AM

Hi,

That green has 15ft elevation. depending on clubs hits and from how far, the flight of the clubs is very important.

Most irons outside 140 yards simply fly on a low enough trajectory to not being able to drop.

To give you an example: if hole is 120 yards off and 15ft up, you easily need to hit 130full bs. The problem is, unless you are using being clubs, which fly high, you wont clear rough anyway.

What we do is aim left of the flag and land on edge of rough and trickle to green and then make 30-40fter.  Very rarely you can go for the flag and succeed.

-wgticon

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 5 2011 10:45 AM

How are you shaping your shots? 

• docflash9
    47 Posts
    Wed, Jan 5 2011 11:54 AM

Apparently not the right way.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Jan 5 2011 12:09 PM

On Bethpage 9 (similarly 5), if you do have enough club to reach the green, go for the fattest part of the green, typically away from the pin, with all the backspin you have. Then you may be able to hold the green (not always!). If you do sometimes the putt at the 9th, although long, will be dead straight.

PS. Most important tip for Bethpage 9 is to drive well to the right, so your ball does not feed down into that collection area in front of the fairway bunker. If you stay up on the fairway, the rise in elevation to the green is minimal, and an approach shot with enough distance and backspin should hold the green.

RSS