Forums

Help › Forums

Re: My problem?: Execution.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Nov 19 2010 10:52 PM (5 replies)
  • littleboots
    229 Posts
    Thu, Nov 18 2010 9:53 PM

I mean, seriously, I've played and played this game. I know pretty well how to calculate a good shot in my head from taking notes and such, but if I always miss the "ding", what's the point? I've missed countless 10ft birdies because I'm a little late on the ding. Scores that could have been 31 or 32 wind up being 36 or worse just because of that stupid ding! Am i missing something here? Are you guys using some optical sensor connected to your monitor that tells the mouse when to click? Or some kind of clever macro? I have 14 credits left and unless I can get competitive in tournaments I'm probably going to throw in the towel.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Thu, Nov 18 2010 10:51 PM

Hang in there fella. No...there's no secret to dinging the shot. Just timing. Some have it and some don't. Although I do sometimes wish I had a sensor attached to my mouse to tell me when to click the mouse button. But to my knowledge no such device exists. Now I don't do this all the time but sometimes I don't aim my shot using the marker. I leave the marker where it is and purposely miss the ding left or right. So maybe that could help ya. So just hang in there and you'll get it. We all have bad games. We all go (or at least me) on bad stretches of putting horribly. Keep at and just practice. And another thing I do when nothing is working for me is I try to play against somebody that is better than me. For some reason I can sometimes play better against the better players. Not saying it will work for ya but it's what I do. I wish ya all the luck in the world that things go better for ya.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Nov 19 2010 5:45 AM

Dinging is always best but there are ways to increase your chances of making putts when you miss it. First of all, know that if you miss the ding on the downside of a break you will always miss the putt. Miss early on purpose and watch what happens. Second, keep the putting back swing as short as you can by using a higher putting scale. This makes it easier to ding. The Putting Tips in the FAQ shows how you can figure out distances by the way the avatar club moves.

On other club shots the same applies to missing. Miss on the downwind side and all hell breaks loose. Miss into the wind and you improve your chances of getting close. For instance, in a cross wind of 20 mph if you hit the first line on the side of the ding into the wind the ball will go dead straight. You lose a little distance but you're straight. GL

p.s., I didn't recognize you without the SF logo, Yoda.  :-)

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Fri, Nov 19 2010 7:10 AM

Yeah......what "YankeeJim" said. He knows way better than I do. Except for that "P.S." part......I know not what he speaks of. LOL  ;)

• Quis5
    2 Posts
    Fri, Nov 19 2010 9:41 AM

I dont use the marker to aim...i leave it right where it is in the center of the cup...I started trying this about a month ago because i was so frustrated at missing the "ding.  Then I either hit it before or after depending on which way the break is...I also reverse EVERY putt....I started doing this because some of the views they give you putting forward are rediculous. It can be confusing at first...just got to remember to hit the opposite side of the ding.....another thing I have noticed is if the balls are moving fast right by your ball..it is going to start out that way big time....that was the problem i had when i was using the marker to aim...i would move it way right and ding it and it would start out going the direction of the balls no matter how far i had that meter right or left trying to overcounter...just my 2 cents...try it and tell me what you think

• littleboots
    229 Posts
    Fri, Nov 19 2010 10:52 PM

Yeah, Yankeejim, just that one tip of trying to miss a little bit against the wind or the break has given me a lot of confidence. My approach shots were much more accurate today and I even eagled STA #9 from 18ft!. Thanks everyone.

RSS