Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting green inconsistencies

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 16 2014 12:35 PM (8 replies)
  • DynaWoods25567
    4 Posts
    Sat, Aug 16 2014 7:57 AM

I just dont get the putting side of this game. I have played other golf games and managed putting no problem, but here for example: it shows a lot of red, which is uphill yes? say im 15ft out, and the max swing on my putter here is 30ft, so i hit half power and it goes way past, even when its up a slope, and vice versa i have had downhill puts, hit them half power and should more than reach the hole, but struggles to get within say 6ft, and looks like its going up a hill. but then other times it seems fine. so even if im misjudging them a lot, there is still a total contradiction in the outcomes of shots, often - in my case anyway. and i dont like how you can miscue a putt by not getting near the line on the swing, its unrealistic to pull a putt so far left or right. but other than that i do like the game, there must be a way out of this as its very frustrating 3 putting so often and even sometimes 4 putting. I can't imagine the game is flawed, my guess is there must be something else im not getting, but 'what' is the big question

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sat, Aug 16 2014 9:32 AM

DynaWoods25567:
    : it shows a lot of red, which is uphill yes?

No. Red is downhill.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sat, Aug 16 2014 9:37 AM

Red is downhill, compare the slope no. on the aiming target.

Further answers in the other thread.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Aug 16 2014 9:42 AM

...and the more info you can get from a green's cant or topography the better. So you can use the new added feature from WGT by clicking on the crosshair at the bottom right which will show you the other axis.

On at least one other computer golf game, like Powerstar golf, they may show both at once and it's a little too busy because dots are moving at a certain speed left & right, and dots are moving at a different speed up & down.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sat, Aug 16 2014 10:37 AM
    Personally I've never taken any notice of the colours. All the information you need is the distance and the figures on the marker. That and lots of practice.
  • TopShelf2010
    10,881 Posts
    Sat, Aug 16 2014 10:42 AM

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, Aug 16 2014 11:46 AM

courteneyfish:
    Personally I've never taken any notice of the colours. All the information you need is the distance and the figures on the marker.

Same here.  If there's a severe drop towards the hole at the end then I'll move the aimer to find the point I'm aiming to reach before letting gravity take over.  A badly played 2nd shot on Congressional #17 comes to mind here.  Go long to the old pin position and you need to judge it very carefully, just looking at the distance and total amount of fall won't work in this case.

courteneyfish:

That and lots of practice.

Yep.  Sod Carnegie Hall, getting to TL takes a lot more practice.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sat, Aug 16 2014 12:05 PM

courteneyfish:
    Personally I've never taken any notice of the colours. All the information you need is the distance and the figures on the marker.

Unfortunately, the slope indication may lie, stating "down" when it's "up" (only in small numbers). To me, the colours tell the truth from judging what is behind the player or behind the hole.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Aug 16 2014 12:35 PM

I usually welcome the added info on the colors to combine it with the elevation number esp. when the green is undulated.

In a challenging situation on a bumpy green you may have 'hills & valleys' and your ball may have to cross both kinds, each with different tilts.

The dots can show the direction and amount of slope but the colors will indicate the elevation in that area.

Compare two examples: #1) a long, strait putt on a flat incline, with a slight tilt left to right, that goes up 3 feet to #2) the same putt w/ identical distance & elevation on a bumpy green:

#2) For example, the ball on the undulated green will travel into a small hill which goes up and slopes left to right, then it rolls down into a small dip, or 'valley'.....

.......Then the ball continues out of the dip into a slope up hill a great deal, then hits a small dip again just before the hole, each with it's own tilts !

That's very different, even though the numbers on the aim are identical in both examples (#1 & #2).

Sure, the elevation and distance are the same, but a ball will respond in a different manner on each example.

Granted, this is not so common but the information provided by WGT on the topography is noteworthy, IMO.

A common technique for players is to switch to 'chip' grid, etc. and/or move the aim marker in those areas to see the change in elevation displayed, then make a note in your head. But the colors help in that regard without using the aim marker so extensively. 

Pinehurst 6 24 foot Birdie undulated green

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=e7dad7c2-9b21-43ce-95ad-a3b7016f7ed8

RSS