Forums

Help › Forums

Re: First iron upgrade

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 24 2014 1:12 AM (6 replies)
  • jpmor11
    13 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 12:33 PM

I'm currently at level 52 playing the starter irons and balls.  I recently got a new driver and a new putter and both are awesome.  What should my first iron upgrade be?  I know all about getting new wedges, but I kind of want to get the irons first so I'll know what the gaps are that need filling.  Any suggestions?

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 9:16 PM
    3 equally spaced wedges and dropping the hybrid is my usual advice for Masters. If you must buy irons then the level 52 Nikes would help you a lot. Better to wait a while though.
  • ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 9:35 PM

If you can wait until L59, the G25's are really nice.. slow meter, high trajectory.. 

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 9:36 PM

courteneyfish:
    the level 52 Nikes would help you a lot

I must concur. 

However, should you decide to hack it out a few more levels, there are better things in the near offing. 

Short term, lots of creds, go for the Nikes. 

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 10:09 PM

My opinion is keep the Fischer Price starter irons until - at minimum - level 59. This is when the level 59 G25 irons become available. Although I've never used either set, I would personally rate the g25s as a FAR superior set to the Nikes simply because of their trajectory - High for the Pings vs Medium for the Nikes.  

Myself, I decided to bypass the G25s altogether (formerly the G20s when I hit level 59) and I waited until I had unlocked the Rocketbladez at level 79.  Although they do have a faster meter than the Pings, they also have just a hiccup more spin and a tiny bit more precision. Its just a question of whether or not you want to deal with the faster meter.

When it comes to the Pro Shop my general rule of thumb is unless money is absolutely no hindrance and you have a seemingly unlimited supply of credits, only make a purchase that has long term value.  To me, buying the Nikes at 52 and then potentially replacing them at 59 for the G25s just isn't good credit management, but to each his own. 

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Tue, Jun 24 2014 12:51 AM

The lvl 59 pings will last you till legend even with cheaper balls they do well 

toss in the 3 wood and the 3 max wedges with the driver and putter you have you will be set for a long time 

• alberich35
    858 Posts
    Tue, Jun 24 2014 1:12 AM

+1 with alls forumers. Wait level 59 for Ping G25 irons set, just now buy 3 goods wedges as TM ATV or Cleveland (range 50 or 60 to 100) a TM R11s wood is welcome or wait level 58 for G25.

May be Max is also good, dont know their products except the putter i have.

RSS