Re: Can't putt from the fringe!!

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 21 2010 1:49 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 8:58 PM

Richard1969,

hard to say if it is a bug or a designed behavior based on the lie - best to submit it to WGT while in game by right-clicking in the game window and using the menu option to submit a bug report. This sends all of the pertinent hole data, etc to them, allows them to dig in to it.

Just don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

oh, and you have to be quick to do this, or sometimes it takes long enough to process that your timer runs out for the next shot.

And as Nickuk stated above, the flop is a great choice of shots from green-side lies also. Takes some time to master it, but once you do, you'll be within 3-4 almost every time.

• Bluenose12
    2,101 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 9:08 PM

Richard1969:
    I could hit it at 100ft of power and it goes NOWHERE.

Exactly,this is what makes me think it is a slight bug in the game.

• TNP56
    510 Posts
    Tue, Sep 21 2010 1:40 AM

I'm not sure why a lot of people complain about putting from the fringe when you can flop it from there instead of trying to putt......you can get it closer and take out the breaks between you and the hole. It takes practice but it works well for me....I hole out a lot more too.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Sep 21 2010 1:49 AM

You may be thinking about areas that are marked as fringe but extend for a long distance beyond the green. I have in mind particularly that large patch behind the green at top of the first hill at Oakmont (3rd hole, I believe). Physically it would be fringe, and you can putt through it, but you have to put so much extra power into the putt that it is a very low percentage shot to get it close to the hole. Go for the chip or flop.

With those crazy greens at St. Andrews it is often MUCH better to be in the fringe (or fairway) than on the edge of the green, because from the fringe (or fairway) you are "allowed" to use a chip or flop to carry over the weird mounds and so forth. If you try this from the green (which would obviously work fine in real life - a little hard on the green though) - nothing happens.

• PAGES
RSS