Re: Question for Computer Experts

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 24 2010 11:33 AM (22 replies)
  • RickBaker
    29 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 10:35 AM

MBaggese:

RickBaker:

Rick Baker here, owner Arizona PC Service...wow I never realized we had so many computer "experts" here? Just enough of them to get a person in REAL TROUBLE! LOL

Well Rick, how about lending your experience/assistance, instead of a non-informative blanket statement?

Sure, you bet...always willing to help and contribute. No offence intended here...just reading and commenting on what I'm looking at. One thing about me you can always count on...I'm stright foward and call it as I see it...good, bad, impartial or in between.

I'll try to get better as I go along...promise!  8-)

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 11:12 AM

mstrat12,

to get back to your original question.

both pc's and laptops have the potential to be very speedy and responsive, or very slow and 'laggy'. PC's generally have more potential, just based on available size (space and cooling potential).

Installed hardware is the biggie here, and something that the average user would have little knowledge about. Over the counter systems can be good or bad, but are generally designed for the average home user, NOT for a gamer. Motherboard specs are almost never listed for an over the counter system, and this is the first thing that a gamer would look at when building a system. In a nutshell, many here are at a disadvantage here based on nothing more than the fact that they have an over the counter computer that will never be able to render this game as efficiently as a properly custom built job.

That isn't to say that there aren't ways to improve the experience, because there are - it becomes a matter of your comfort level, and the amount of time you want to spend making adjustments, etc.

• Cyclone1111
    1 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 11:33 AM

Your processor speed, amount of RAM and video card are the most relevant factors when gaming, not as much as your connection speeds (for WGT). The data packet is sent from the server for the action play you are about to perform and this resides momentarily on your computer after your play (stroke) the packet is sent back to server. So yes applications running in the background will slow down or lag your play since it is a high resolution graphics driven game. Laptops although they have come a long way in the past few years are not really designed for gaming except for the high end gaming capable laptops. Hence the reason why gaming systems are in the two to three thousand dollar range.

Inexpensive fix: go to "menu" > "game Settings" and adjust the flash animation settings quality, this might speed up the animation of game play.

Only end applications running in the background if you are truly certain that they are not needed. Do ALT >CTRL >DELETE to open Windows Task Manager go to processes (you can sort by high to low by simply clicking on “Mem Usage” header; there you can see the programs that are hogging resources. Simply right click on a selection and “End Process”. Example would be something like ITunes Helper using 30k of ram

Video cards:

We are talking refresh rates which is the speed that the video card can produce the image of your game (swing). All the pretty grass, realistic soil, sand and trees really  puts a burden on your graphics card which in turn slows down the refresh rates in other words the video card can’t keep up with the huge amount of data being asked to process.

True fix: faster processor, at least 2 to 4 Megs of ram and a high end video card.

There are video cards for $50 (equivalent to what comes from factory. Then there are the good ones for $150+ some are $400 and can go as high as $2000! 

There is a reason behind the madness!

RSS