Forums

Help › Forums

Re: reading the green

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:33 AM (2 replies)
  • Ivories78
    61 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 4:16 AM

I've encountered, when reading the green, that you have two differing 'opinions' when you look from the forward view then the reverse view and compare the two.

Which one do you believe?

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 4:27 AM

If both views are pointed straight at the hole, then I'll look at both, in order to get a closer look at parts of the green.  I always adjust the aim marker from the reverse view, though, since it is closer to the hole and allows me to make finer adjustments.

If one is crooked and one is pointed straight at the hole, then I will base almost everything off the straighter view.  It is important to realize that if you have a perfectly straight, 8-inch-downhill, 15 ft putt, a straight view will read no break, but if you have a view where the hole is way off to the side -- where your grid is 30 degrees off -- the grid would claim that there is a *TON* of break, even though there is none.  When your grid is not straight, uphill or downhill slope masquerades as left/right break -- either making it seem as if there is more break than there really is, or making it seem as if there is less break than there really is.

If both are crooked, that's where it gets even more complicated than normal.  xD

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:33 AM

I do most of my aiming using the reverse view.  I have found that the break often looks different from each view and that the reverse view seems to be the most accurate using this view.  Example.......if i see a small break left using forward view but no break using reverse view, i go with the reverse view.

RSS