Forums

Help › Forums

Re: ADVICE!

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 7 2010 5:55 AM (8 replies)
  • uagoldenbear84
    15 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:35 PM

I need to find out a decent set of very forgiving irons to buy?  Suggestions please!

-John

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 2:13 PM

Depends, what kind of meter speed you are looking at

• saladx
    39 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 3:31 PM

R9z

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 3:33 PM

The Rapture V2's are the best in terms of both having slow meters and having high forgiveness.  The R9's have similar forgiveness, but faster meter speeds.  You do get slightly more precision with the R9's, but I'd guess that the V2's would be the better option if you are having troubles "dinging" your shots.

If you can do well with your R9 driver, though, then I would guess that you could hit the R9 irons.  If you're having trouble controlling the driver, go for the V2's.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 3:35 PM

That actually is a tough question...lets take the master g-10 set...my personal favorite.

Yes meter is fast, but to me the most important aspect of the irons is the precision rating.

I feel it has more influence on the ball striking results than forgiveness...get the clubs with the best precision that your level will allow, and you also want a club with the highest trajectory for stopping power.

Your mileage will vary.

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 4:50 PM

For me a slow swing meter and forgiveness is more important than precision. If you can't get fairly close to the ding it doesn't matter what precision you have anyway, the shot will be off. I like the Raptures very much, and am dreading the day I have to drop them, and in particular a faster driver (don't have rapture driver, but a somewhat slow meter). If you have trouble with the meter speed, I say go for the Rapture and don't even think twice about it.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 11:27 PM

I dont agree... precision means that it wont go as far off line and it will go off line from that less often.

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 5:12 AM

I guess I will have to check that theory now that I've been moved to Master.

There are times when the Raptures goes off in an uncomfortable direction, but the vast majority of shots it goes where I want it to. So it's not been an issue for me. Not a big one anyway.

The slow meter speed and forgiveness is great to have for those times (and there will be such times) when you badly miss the centre.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 5:55 AM

danohi50:

I dont agree... precision means that it wont go as far off line and it will go off line from that less often.

Likely true if you are close to the center line ding, but then I know little of dinging iron shots. LOL

I own both G10 and Raptures.  My experience has been that missing the ding by an estimated 1/8 inch or more results in an estimated 2X loss of distance and accuracy for the G10s vs the Raptures.  The Raptures are much more forgiving than the G10s.

RSS