Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Am I really that bad at this?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:55 PM (2 replies)
  • trytobeat
    5 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:23 AM

Although a Tour Master, with a fair set of clubs and balls etc.,  I do not mind that I have gone from 65.1 to around 71 plus with the new changes etc.  takes a while to get used to ..........BUT....how can anyone score 26 or 10 under par on last weeks ulimited 9 hole at St Andrews.  High winds, tournement greens and pin positions that are extreme and they get 10 under par.  Is there a set of clubs or a ball that I do not know about or am I just at the limit of my game?

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 12:48 PM

I think those numbers are possible...I've shot 29 at SA with free balls and I don't play that much.  When there are that many playing, someone will string together 9 great holes...and the better they play, and the more they play, the greater their chances...its like the lottery, someone will hit the numbers if only by luck.

Joey       

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:55 PM

If you check, that tournament was started before the most recent changes came in, so was still being played as a Master. I entered the tournament on the Monday, which is the only way that someone who was moved to being a Legend, or Tour Master could continue to play it. Most of the best scores in the tournament were probably shot by people who have been moved up a tier or two since the Monday.

I shot a 29, but I'd been a Master for quite a long time and got used to playing the course. I actually stopped playing it after the Legends were moved to new tees, so I could concentrate on the new setup.

However when this course first came out, I was already a master and it was a terrible struggle for me to break par. You will get the hang of it, but it's take time. It's so much that you're really bad, but suffering because so many of the shots you need to play now, you're not used to, along with the green speed being alien to you. Hang in there, because it should start to click at some point. Might take several weeks of struggling, but at some point you'll wonder what the problem was.

Off the Legend tees, I've played the full course and been through the front 9 once with my score at 6 under. However, I'm terribly inconsistent now, and had over par scores through the front 9.

RSS