Forums

Help › Forums

Re: This is probably posted elsewhere, but.....

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 18 2010 8:11 AM (5 replies)
  • Mikee1980
    4 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 6:29 AM

I'm a relatively new player in that I signed up last year, but have probably played more rounds in the last 24 hours than in the last year combined.

To be quite frank, my gameplay is rubbish, my FIR is generally a little over 50%, every time I chip from the rough around bunkers toward the green I end up landing in the rough again and take 3 or 4 shots just to land on the green, these I can cope with, what bugs me most about my game is my putting. Unless I manage to land within 5 foot of the pin on the approach, I can virtually guarantee that I'm going to miss (except in odd flukey circumstances), my question is this - What are the best ways to learn to "read" the green so that I have a fighting chance of finishing with a decent score? I've lost count of the amount of birdies or pars I've screwed up because of my poor putting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 6:47 AM

mikee do not use the chip shot if you are more then a few feet off of green it will flub virtually every time.  Try getting used to using a pitch, flop or even a full shot type.    

As for putting, it is one of the hardest things to learn, I would suggest if you can upgrading your putter as the one you are currently using has very low precision.

Cheers

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 6:47 AM

First and FORE!most... welcome to the forums Mike.

You've come to the right place for help. Just look over there---->  "FAQs"

I could get into "specifics", but there's a better way, if you want to seriously become a better player here at WGT...

There's a plethora of info on chipping and putting that has been put together by the members that will be a great help to you. Prepare yourself for ALOT of reading, study, and PRACTICE, however, as expertise doesn't come easy in this game. ;)

Devote a small notebook and sharp #2, and dig in!  Good Luck!

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 7:05 AM

Mike, you can chip from the rough, not just a few inches off the green but many feet off the green.  What you can't do is chip gently.  Think of it like real golf, thick rough grabs the club, swing to lightly and the club doesn't hvae the oomph to power through the ball, and you flub it.  But dont expect a chip from the rough to go the same distance as it would from the fringe.  And remember a chip or pitch carries a certain distance in the air, so you need to be able to carry it to the green.  Do a practice round, take all 10 strokes they allow, and try a few different things.  Its worth the time

Putting, read the tips in the FAQs.  Its not so much how to read the green but how to get the most out of the player movements in figuring distance.  Like the real game only experience will gain you a feel for how putts will break.  We I first started out the putting was brutal and I think it had a lot to do with the 30ft meter on the starter putter.  Its hard to dial in the distance on that large of a meter.  If the putt is 8ft away and you think you are hitting 8ft on the meter, what if you hit it for 10ft?  You could have read the break perfectly for a 8ft speed, but you blew the putt through break by hitting in 10ft.  If that at all seems realistic to what you are experiencing, I would recommend completing some of the surveys for credits and getting a better putter with a lesser distance meter.  My 15ft meter is much easier to figure where the cursor needs to be to hit say a 9ft, on a 30ft meter I can only guess.

• Mikee1980
    4 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 7:53 AM

Thank you to all three of you, I read the putting tips to the right, and had a quick round at St. Andrews, a 1000 x better already! First putt still isn't going in, but it is getting me to within a foot of the pin. A little more patience and practice and I should start making 20/30 ft putts with regularity. Unfortunately didn't come across a similar scenario re: the chips so couldn't test it out.

Once again, thank you, it's such a pleasure to write on a forum as a newbie, and get thought out, measured responses in return.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Aug 18 2010 8:11 AM

Keep playing, its gets better.  Keep in mind that each tier has its own green speed, and tourneys can have a different green speeds.  Each speed needs its own break in period.

RSS