Help › Forums

Re: I made pro yesterday and my average has skyrocketed

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 29 2010 3:29 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 8:05 PM

I have never seen a 30 ft putt from the fringe only go 2 inches.  My guess is that it was some sort of bug... presumably from there being a difference between the graphics display of the immediate area and the data that churns out the numbers.  The game presumably keeps track of the area on the course by using little blocks of area... maybe 6" by 6", and you happened to catch a corner of the rough, even though it appeared to be fringe on your screen.

That said, it must be a pretty rare issue b/c I've never seen it.

Being a pro or master is pretty easy.  It's hard to say how much the clubs and balls have to do with it, but probably a decent amount.  I'd guess that my set of good clubs knock about 8 points off of my average.  I'm not in the business of helping competition, but all you have to do is think logically and methodically.  If it seems like something is consistently failing to work for you, then don't do it, and vice versa.  You will find yourself coming up with ideas.

One idea that I'd suggest to you, which you may already know, is that sometimes the pin is in a super hard location, and it may be nearly impossible to stick the ball in the immediate vicinity of the pin (esp if you aren't using balls that have spin on them), so look for an easier part of the green to land the ball at.  It's better to get on the green 99% of the time than get on it 50% of the time 10 ft closer, but also have to deal with the other 50% of your shots being from the rough and sand.

The same goes for laying up.  The hole location might be easy, but the fact that I'm 240 yards out makes it very difficult.  If it takes a miracle for me to squeeze the ball in between two hazards or two flanks of rough in order to inch up onto the green, then I will usually just lay the ball up.  I'd rather deal with a 60 yrd shot from the fairway, which I can get within 5 yrds almost every time, than a 50% chance of having a 30 yrd flop/pitch from the rough or sand, which might end up in a disaster.

Try new things and come up with new ideas.  Remember what works and what doesn't work.  You have to break the game down into a science.  Guesswork isn't going to get you very far.

• BuddyWood
    5 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 8:03 AM

I went to get credits and completed and offer and got 2,500 credits.  The offer cost me something, but It was something I could really use.  There are tons of offers to take a look at. Good Luck.

• MByrd
    9 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 8:05 AM

Hey guys, I really do appreciate all of the tips and tricks.  I understand that I have a lot to learn about this game and seven days in the system is not a long time.  I wasn't trying to make pro, nor am I chasing master.  I was truly trying to improve on each round.  I was doing that and before I knew it, I went from Hack to Amateur to Pro.  My first round at St. Andrews was 96, I think, then when I popped a 78 there, I was a Pro.  I am still using the original beginner sticks that they give you when you start. 

The thing that is most frustrating to me is that I am a rather long player in real life and on this game I hit my driver about the distance that my 4-iron goes. I am forced to think strategically on the course, because my clubs don't go very far.  On long par 4s, I already know that I am going to have a 60-80 yard third shot, if the wind is into me.

My driving is pretty straight.  I usually end up on the fairway (well over 90% of the time).  The only times that this is not true is when I can't reach the fairway with my driver! I do need to upgrade my gear. 

Interesting comment about the possible bug in the graphics.  This has most certainly happened, more than once to me.  Yesterday in a practice round, a chip that looked like it was in the 20-25% rough went literally nowhere...twice in a row. 

I will keep practicing and working on my game to try to get better.

Thanks again.

MB

• werksux
    241 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 3:08 PM

doepanther:

I have been playing for a few weeks now.  Any tips on how to get credits other than buying them.  It is hard to play the longer courses with the beginner clubs and balls.  I need to upgrade, but not really wanting to pay for it.  Any suggestions?  Is there a certain average I need to get more credits?

I ca tell you from personal exerience that investing some money in the game after you've aquired the basic skills is all you need to do.  I spent 40$ initially in buying various sets of clubs & trying them out.  After I got a little better at Ready Go's & Match Play Challenges I've never had to spend another dime on the game.  I figure a 40$ donation is well worth it for a game of this caliber, they're constantly improving it & if a little donation kills ya, you might want to check your priorities.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 3:29 PM

Start using the punch shot from the green-side rough Byrd. Use a little more power. The punch shot works well out of bunkers too.

• PAGES
RSS