270 Posts
    Tue, May 7 2013 3:52 PM

lvl 33 Callaway tour i(s)

• SafariMan62
    222 Posts
    Tue, May 7 2013 4:17 PM

MUSTAQBAL1:

lvl 33 Callaway tour i(s)

+1........  A while back, i had my personal best 18 hole round ( 63 )...with that ball. You can't go wrong

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2013 11:31 AM

KittyWumpus:

alosso:

My general hint is not to use balls with higher level than the clubs.

Why not please? I was using Nike L48+ with my G20 L59+ irons, but switched to the Nike L71+ when they became available. The Nike L48+ would be a better choice?

IBTD: It's not a firm recommendation but a general hint which may well be overritten by experience.

If you feel comfortable with your high level Nikes and play well with them, just play them!

I have in mind the low level player who has only a limited choice of clubs and tries to overcome their deficienies with a top price ball.

Playing MAX balls with Starters is a waste in my eyes.

• KittyWumpus
    345 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2013 2:30 PM

Ah, gotcha. Thank you for the reply Alosso. 

• EmmanuelOfFAR
    29 Posts
    Fri, Sep 5 2014 10:41 PM

Hello,

I'm tour master, level 83. My first post... What a impressive game !!!

I recently tried Srixon Z-STAR for 180 credits and WGT GI3-S for 99 credits... I really like WGT GI3-S (61 on Strike Out ALS Challenge - Merion yesterday and 69 on Best of Par 4 this morning, i was not used before GI3-S).

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Sep 8 2014 12:02 AM

alosso: (1) My general hint is not to use balls with higher level than the clubs. (1)

It's not a firm recommendation but a general hint which may well be overritten by experience.

---

+1

I've found the number totals which seem to work for me. Using 3 different iron sets, I'll try to find the right combinations with my preferred sum total of the spin & meter. Distance total is the secondary ** consideration. 

Irons and their spin and meter:                      **   

A) G25  59      -     3s            4m                 Go shortest

B) Nike 85       -     3.5s        3.5m               Go far

C) Nike 97       -     4.5s         3m                 Go farthest 

My MINIMUM preferred sum number for spin is 6.5

My MINIMUM preferred sum number for meter is  6

Currently, I'm using/testing the following balls for results, value and preference:

iron set:

Callaway Yellow Vapor  (L37+)               3.5spin    2.5meter        A & B

NIKE RZN red vapor      (L42+)               3.5           3.5                  ALL

NIKE        X RZN              (L61+)              3.5           3.5                 ALL

Slow Meter                       (Pro+)              2.5             5                    C

---

misc balls I'm using for practice, casual blitz, cheapos, or for use when broadcasting on Twitch with CPU bogged down.

Callaway Chrome slow meter (L1+)   2 spn    3.5 m       300 cr

WGT GI3 S Vapor Pink or Lime          1s          2.5m        99 cr

and I'll always use a few Callaway  (L33+)  and in the future, I'll try the high level Nikes as many of the top earners do like the 90 and 91 etc. (4.6+sp)

But the main points I'm making here is to find the number total which works for you, and suggestion number (1) above.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Sep 8 2014 12:48 AM

Your credits but those Nikes are serving you no purpose whatsoever until Legend, and everything precisely mapped with even better clubs.

Even at TL people can play great with the L33 Cally, and at TM that L33 is cream + IMO.

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Mon, Sep 8 2014 9:50 AM

You want to treat yourself but not spend a lot; Srixon Z-STAR for 180 credits are really good balls for the money. I've used them since Tour Pro Tier. With both my level 59 Ping G20 & level 90 Taylor Made R11's irons. But with lower equipment the WGT GIS-D & WGT Tour Pro balls will suit you.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Sep 8 2014 11:56 AM

Plus I consider a certain ball maybe for a certain course or CTTH, like Merion etc. Maybe a ball with more bite or spin may be good for certain courses. (or Blitz) Below is an example of using a ball w/ a specific distance rating:

If you're using your clubs and find yourself always choking up a Cleveland 56 degree, or perhaps your 4i on the same approach shots, using a ball of 3.5 spin & meter and 5 distance, there maybe a chance and option that you use a ball w/ same spin/meter but with a shorter distance like 3 or 4.

This is a bad example, and people might simply change the way they play while keeping the same ball. Yet it may work the other way around, too. Maybe you go from a 2 distance up to a 4 or 5 (because your approach on a par 4 or 5 is always just out of range of your 3i, etc., again, a bad example but you see my point)

The good news is that you have the choice to try out slightly different balls and see what gets you the rewards. I'm still in a testing phase and it's entertaining to sleuth it out.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Mon, Sep 8 2014 1:02 PM

JFidanza:

Plus I consider a certain ball maybe for a certain course or CTTH, like Merion etc. Maybe a ball with more bite or spin may be good for certain courses.

Personally I'd advise against using different balls for different courses.  Unless you are prepared to work out your clubs for each ball you use you're going to be playing guessing games to a certain extent.  My vote goes for finding a ball you like and using it every round you play.  That way you get to learn how it reacts in any situation.

Damn, I made a golf ball sound like a pretty complicated piece of equipment there, I'm sure you know what I mean though.

If you're OK with putting in the time to map your clubs with several balls then of course feel free to do so.  I'm just too lazy for that.

L33 Cally for me.  Brilliant value ball that, I believe anyway, has the highest number of dots per $ in the pro shop.

RSS