Help › Forums

Re: Handicapping

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 2 2010 6:01 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • crazyhorse75
    40 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 7:28 PM

amazing ! so after composing the OP, receiving 9 replies (  including 2 more read and recorded from OP ) this member has managed to work out bowling is different from golf, quote, " In bowling it was a % over your average added to your score. How does it work with golf? end quote. easy, bowling is not the same sport as golf for one and two, quote again, " Unfortunately, every time I think of something SANDBAGGERS jumps up and squashes it. " don't mention it, glad i could help.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 7:31 PM

you hear that Jim? I did the math right! So now you have to listen to me for once :-) 

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 7:33 PM

There is no perfect solution YJ, but there are better ways.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2010 5:21 AM

crazyhorse75:

amazing ! so after composing the OP, receiving 9 replies (  including 2 more read and recorded from OP ) this member has managed to work out bowling is different from golf, quote, " In bowling it was a % over your average added to your score. How does it work with golf? end quote. easy, bowling is not the same sport as golf for one and two, quote again, " Unfortunately, every time I think of something SANDBAGGERS jumps up and squashes it. " don't mention it, glad i could help.

What kind of stupidness is this? I asked a question and used bowling as a relate. Obviously I didn't know how golf handicaps work and asked. Thanks to the literate ones that responded.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2010 10:32 AM

YankeeJim:
    What kind of stupidness is this? I asked a question and used bowling as a relate. Obviously I didn't know how golf handicaps work and asked. Thanks to the literate ones that responded.

I'm fairly sure that Niv asked for an end to these types of attacks on the last thread that you jumped in to and tried to take over. Why is it that anyone with a different opinion than yours is automatically using 'stupidness' and not 'literate' ?

As Niv so eloquently put it, 'Post because you have something to say, not because you have to say something. '

If you feel attacked, report it to wgt, but attacking back will do nothing but kill the thread, and most likely get you some time in the corner....

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2010 11:56 AM

FYI I didn't attack anybody,  there was no opinion in the post i responded to and the gist of it was definitely stupid. There was no opinion from me here other than agreeing with jeffdos.

This thread is about handicapping. Keep it there and post your opinion about me on my wall. It does not belong here.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2010 7:36 PM

Wasn't an opinion about you YJ, it was a dissertation of the content of your post. 

To allude about the stupidness of a post equates to your opinion of the content, but not in a very constructive way. 

To refer to 'the literate posters' also assumes that some are illiterate. Again, not a constructive way to debate the subject of the thread, another disguised attack on posters. 

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2010 8:02 PM

There is one HUGE difference in handicapping here vs Real Life Golf.

In real life golf more times than not you are going to have some others playing with ya. Just try to picture someone chunking up and down the green on purpose. Your fellow players would ask you WTH are you doing!

Well here you can play myself yourself a great deal of the time if you chose to. And even if you played in a group you don't have to look the other person in the eye and explain your actions.

The only thing that might work is... using the scores from paid tournaments ONLY. Might not stop it entirely, but if you took the best 10 out 20 similar to what the USGA handicap is one might think twice before driving a score up since credits will be lost.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 5:40 AM

ncviz:
    the only thing that might work is... using the scores from paid tournaments ONLY.

Along those lines perhaps determining handicaps by using scores from the leaderboards of all of the weekly/monthly tournaments could work. Maybe to get handicapped you would have to participate in x number of tournaments. Then a tier of handicapped golfers could be formed where you know you're playing legit types. 

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 6:01 AM

Oh dear  the blind leading the blind .  lol

Yes  it IS possible and it IS being done as per the "real game"  just means you have to look at the bigger picture. 

Look outside of WGT averages  and you may start to get a clearer focus  on what is required.

Oh and by the way  it is also "sandbagger" proof  as in the "real game" 

In fact I would welcome any attempt at sandbagging.

Oh ....and yes  it can be adapted to a CC  It is already in progress with handicaps in place  and playing for REAL money and prizes (free entry - so no gambling involved)  on an equal basis.

Good luck in your quest

• PAGES
RSS