Forums

Help › Forums

Re: PUNCH SHOTS

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 8 2010 11:17 AM (7 replies)
  • Ripcol25
    946 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 6:56 AM

As a wgt Master I am expected to have a good grasp on how to play all the basic shots.

after close to 800 ranked rounds and several hundred practice rounds I still do not

enough consistancy to to rely on a punch shot in competition. I read all the forum info

that I can find and have charted many rounds but cannot play the shot. Any info would

be greatly appeciated.

An addicted oldtimer Ripcol25

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 8:15 AM

How/when do you try to use it?

• Whogolf
    78 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 8:50 AM

Only  times I have used it is to shoot out from under the trees on hole #1 at Bethpage. Just woke up, but if i`m thinking right ,it keeps the ball low to get under the trees.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 9:30 AM

OK, try thinking a little differently. Use it based on the yardage it produces as opposed to using it for specific lies. For instance, your 64 wedge hits 50 full but punches 41! You can take a full swing and you don't have to be under a tree to use it. Plus you can manipulate it with spin.

Keep in mind, punch shots will roll out at the end, upwards of 3-4 yards on flat landing. The 77 yd Satin punches 63 and I use it a lot where there's room in front of the pin to roll up. Partial punches, 70-90% really help getting exact yardages down once you get used to how it acts. IRL you wouldn't punch shots from fairway lies usually but here it works very well.GL

• Ripcol25
    946 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 9:36 AM

I try to use it in heavy head winds to be more acturate. Especially on long irons and

wedges

• AGaskey
    5 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 10:10 AM

Rip, I have just started using the punch shots on the qualifier for St Andrews. I have found that it works good for the control aspect with the wind. It has also worked very well in the fescue as well. I am still working on the aspects of control on the green but most shots i use a little backspin on the ball to slow it down on the approach shots. i find that a difference of 5 yds between shot length and actual puch yardage. (65yds to hole and a 60 yd punch for example). most shots like this end up about 7-10 ft from the hole. i will continue to add information as i continue using this shot.

aaron

• borntobesting
    9,629 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 10:11 AM

The punch with the 60 degree and 64 degree from the heavy rough works very well in place of the chip or pitch shots. I have several shall we call them punch ins from the heavy stuff just off the green. It also helps with some in-between longer shots where the full 3 wood is too long and the 3 iron is too short. Also works well with the driver at # 1 at SA if the strong wind is behind you and a full driver or 3 wood might go in the ditch.

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 11:17 AM

On St Andrews #17 it can be useful if your second shot is over a certain distance away. I've used it a few times to punch the ball to roll onto the right side of the green and if you have the distance right, it will curl around to give a chance at a putt for a birdie.

RSS