Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting -- keys to improve.

Sun, May 16 2010 8:10 AM (5 replies)
  • funstuff
    35 Posts
    Sat, May 8 2010 3:44 PM

For putting, let me start by saying that you must be mindful of the quality of the green (slow, normal, fast, or very fast), as this has a serious impact of the distance you can expect from a strike. Also, try to relate the speed of the slant mini balls + the distance between you and the hole to a fraction of the squares in the putting grid; e.g., medium speed + 10ft = 1/3 square, and adjust the target triangle with your mouse accordingly. If you are putting downhill, add the distance downward to the distance forward before making your target adjustment. Inversely, if you are putting uphill, subtract the distance uphill from the distance forward before adjusting your target. Finally be prepared to decrease or increase the power of your strike. Observation and memory are key. Above all, never try to muscle a putt in the cup to compensate for the slant. This will lead in most cases to a bogey or a number of them.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2010 1:49 PM

funstuff:

Above all, never try to muscle a putt in the cup to compensate for the slant. This will lead in most cases to a bogey or a number of them.

Maybe it's just me, but I think this is completely wrong, especially when dealing with the slower green speeds.

Leaving all possible break in a putt has a huge margin for error in my opinion. If you try to take break out and leave it 2-5 feet past it has a better chance of going in. 

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2010 2:00 PM

TheLighterDark:

Maybe it's just me, but I think this is completely wrong, especially when dealing with the slower green speeds.

Leaving all possible break in a putt has a huge margin for error in my opinion. If you try to take break out and leave it 2-5 feet past it has a better chance of going in.

I am in agreement with TLD... slanted short putts get the most power from my putter... I want to 'putt the break out'.  When it works, its a beautiful thing.. when it doesn't I have a 3-5'er coming back.... 

It's called trying to 'move the hole'.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2010 2:19 PM

That's right TLD. You have to maintain good speed through the break for the ball to have a chance at the hole. If you let-off speed on a downhill breaker, the ball is going to dive below the hole everytime.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 4:15 AM

Personally and it may just be me but I often very rarely adjust the target triangle more than just moving it from one side of the cup or the other. I find it easer to work with the putter meter. There are times when putting on an extensive downhill lie that I will adust the target triangle more to change the angle of attack. I have found this to be a norm amongst about 50/50 of the players here.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 8:10 AM

Must admit, I had a difficult time following funstuff's post.....Below is  how I determine the distance to play a putt.

If the putt is "X" inches "up" then add "X " feet to the distance to determine a calculated distance for the putt; if the putt is "X" inches down then subtract "X" feet to determine a calculated distance. 

If the putt is on "fast" greens, the calculated distance is the distance to putt..  If the putt is on "slow" greens then add 20% to the calculated distance.  If the putt is on "very fast" greens then multiply the calculated distance by 85%.

As an example....let's say one has a 15 foot putt with 5 inches up; thus the calculated distance is 20 feet. 

If on fast greens, one would play the putt as a 20 footer. 

If on slow greens, one should play the putt as a 24 footer ( 20 feet + 4 feet [ 20% of 20 =4] ). 

If on very fast greens, one shoud play the putt as a 17 footer (  85% of 20 = 17 ).

Harve

RSS