Forums

Help › Forums

Re: More Big News from WGT .. Check it out

Fri, Apr 23 2010 3:34 PM (24 replies)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 9:02 PM

duffer66:
    It says, open to countries around the world faterson, on the right side of the link.

Nope, it says "Compete against players around the world", but that may be just PR fluff.

Believe it or not, they did that last year. Except for a few countries, everyone was locked out of the US Open, but when WGT published a press release afterwards, they claimed that "zillion-billion players from 179 [or whatever] countries of the world joined the virtual US Open". I posted a link to that press release in this forum back then.

It was a complete lie, but they published it anyway. They took the numbers of players and countries registered at WGT.com, and said that they all participated in the US Open, even though they were not allowed to join the tourney.

I hope this doesn't happen again.

Also last year, there was the qualifying tournament, but the course was not available for multi-player or practice rounds. The full Bethpage only became available for us after the real-world tourney was over, which made me very furious. I couldn't properly enjoy the TV coverage of US Open, being so familiar with the Back 9, and not knowing the Front 9 at all.

Let's hope that if they release both courses on June 1st this year, it will not be just for the qualifying rounds, but that the 2 courses will also be freely available for multi-player rounds and practice mode.

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 9:30 PM

Why dont you just wait and see instead of assuming faterson half of the above is in the your post on page1the repetition is relentless its already been said these tourneys are for everyone accept those who cant by there states or country laws.

Gee i wish i could read these forums without reading the same thing over and over have your say once then leave it its not that hard.

PS all your other assumptions regarding updates have been wrong so i would give it up and learn patience things are starting to happen and i for one am loving whats happening regarding thi great game

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 10:19 PM

chipshotcharlie:
    Why dont you just wait and see

Because I did that last year and the result was that we couldn't play at Bethpage until after the real-world tournament was over. There's nothing more infuriating than that, and it directly contradicts what the PR release says ("acquaint people around the world with the St. Andrews tradition, blah, blah").

chipshotcharlie:
    its already been said these tourneys are for everyone accept those who cant by there states or country laws.

Huh ??? You're directly contradicting what Duffer said. Your statement is meaningless because it could (just like last year) mean that the whole world except a handful of countries won't be allowed to participate.

You're only confirming that there's lots of uncertainty regarding all this. WGT can clear it all up by responding to these concerns. That is: 1) Will all countries be allowed to participate in the qualifier (unlike last year)?; 2) Will the 2 courses be also available for multi-player and practice rounds on June 1st (unlike last year)?

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 10:29 PM

Hi All,

Hey -  this is just great news for WGT. Great work guys - keep it up.

As Seve said in a previous post - go get the other 2 now. Now that would be something - WOW !! Then we could have an official  WGT World Tour. The 4 majors - + ??? bring it on.

FANTASTIC work WGT - I'm your No1 fan.

Cheers 

Doug

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 10:50 PM

Your so correct Faterson im sorry im wrong im always wrong

Can you say that i guess not because if you post it 20 times it becomes the truth or at least i hope so for your sake.

One day you will assume correctly its a law of averages.

BTW i took you up on your last bet where are my golf balls.

Notice the thread on quitters got locked thats because you cant stop, your a forum monster lmao.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 11:00 PM

chipshotcharlie:
    BTW i took you up on your last bet where are my golf balls.

No, you didn't. ThunderBoltz made the bet and duly received the win.

PS: The thread was locked due to all the inevitable trolls that infested it, blame them. I do hope a central thread to deal with quitters will be created later on, instead of allowing 20+ threads on the same issue to run simultaneously.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 11:25 PM

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:03 AM

Faterson:
    Will all countries be allowed to participate in the qualifier (unlike last year)?;

How can you be certain that all countries want to "Participate"?...There could be an upfront fee for all "Participants" and some countries may not see it as a good investment.

Some countries might still have some morals and may not be pleased with the coverage of PGA Tour Events being  "Stuck On Stupid".

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:19 AM

GITrDONE:
    How can you be certain that all countries want to "Participate"?

Are you kidding? What about excluding US players from the tourneys? After all, not all of them might be interested.  

This is no place or time to joke about these things. These are serious concerns. It was an intense suffering for us last year, when we could neither join the tournament, nor play the whole of Bethpage in multi-player rounds, nor play the whole of Bethpage in practice rounds. The real-world tournament got underway, and we were still not allowed to get to know the Front 9 of Bethpage. We don't want to go through any of that again.

While one might theoretically tolerate not being able to join the tournament (but then the PR advertising machine should change its current tune from "Compete with players from around the world"), it would be very disappointing if, on June 1st, the courses were not available for multi-player and practice rounds either.

WGT can end these speculations right here by letting us know in advance what to expect on June 1st. It's best to resolve these things now, in April, rather than on June 1st, when it might be too late.

GITrDONE:
    Some countries might still have some morals and may not be pleased with the coverage of PGA Tour Events being  "Stuck On Stupid".

If that sentence was in English, I'm afraid I didn't understand a syllable of it. 

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 10:38 AM

The Virtual Majors will be open to players from all countries, but only residents or certain countries will be eligible to win prizes for legal reasons.

Please keep this discussion civil or the thread will be locked.

RSS