Re: Which putter do other users prefer?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 8 2010 1:18 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 10:34 AM

SystemCrash:
    I'm right now using the Ping Anser and the meter speed is just brutal!

I used that putter all the way into the master tier last summer. You can slow it down, just like the Redwood, by using the larger scales for putts that you probably are using the 30 and 60  scale for. You would have to be using the avatar move method laid out in the Putting Tips.

The trick is to keep the backswing as short as you can. This not only slows it down, it makes it much easier to ding. For instance, using my Redwood (Anser's big brother) with a 15 foot putt I use the 90 ft scale. Instead of trying to max out the 15 ft scale or guessing at 50% of the 30 scale 1 little avatar move gets me that 15 ft and the backswing is only 1/2" long! I've also found that the ball seems to roll truer using the larger scales (might be my imagination.)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 11:00 AM

YankeeJim:
    The trick is to keep the backswing as short as you can.

Oh... I wholeheartedly agree with this!!  Not only does it make it easier to 'ding' when you want (or miss to either side as is your preference) it makes it much harder for the meter skip and lag to come and bite you on the ass.

The Spider I have has a 100' scale.. the first avatar movement (on very fast greens) is usually 16'. 

Perfect.

Now.. if I could only learn to read breaks and whatnot.  Distance is fine, but I find I'm directionally challenged... and no putter in the world can fix that.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 11:15 AM

There are downsides to using the shortest backswing method.  Less distance control, which is huge on breaking putts, speed is almost as important as the line.   And if you do miss the ding your mishits will start further offline.  For those reasons i've never liked using that method.

Not saying either is right or wrong, just whatever works best for you.

• imcoola
    228 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 12:21 PM
    I never use the 15ft putter scale on the Rossa because I can't seem to get the right speed on very fast greens with it. I always use the 30 ft scale on putts from 0-33 ft
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 1:18 PM

I rarely use the 15ft scale except for taps up to 8ft. My problem is that at times I forget to set at the 30ft scale and of course get only half way home...LOL

• PAGES
RSS