Help › Forums

Which putter do other users prefer?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 8 2010 1:18 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • AlexaF
    248 Posts
    Tue, Apr 6 2010 8:42 AM

I was thinking of getting a putter, but not sure which one, wanted to hear opinions

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 6 2010 12:24 PM

2 choices, Alex-the Redwood or the Daytona. They're both more accurate than the Spider, Anser (Redwood's little brother) or the starters. The Daytona seems to be popular because of the slower meter but either one will fix you right up. Be warned, though. At first use they will seem hard to manage but you're used to a very forgiving putter will little accuracy. Both of these have much better accuracy but you can't get sloppy with them, they don't forgive as much. GL

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Tue, Apr 6 2010 12:33 PM

I have the Daytona which is a really nice putter, but never used the Redwood so I can't compare I am afraid

One thing you do need to get used to are the different putting meter lengths.  For me it was the 15 yard one as you have to move it a great deal more on the shorter putts than you are used to after using the old one for a while.  It caught me out a couple of times before I got used to it

Great putter though

Mick

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Apr 6 2010 12:38 PM

I like the Daytona, nice stats, slower meter.  It is similar to Redwood but is missing the 45ft meter.  I dont personally mind that that is missing all to much, especially since the meter is slower.

Also never used Redwood.  And as Micklen wrote, is that the meter is 15ft, so learn the avatar movements and practice first, your short putts will require new meter distances.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 6 2010 12:47 PM

I have used both the Redwood and Daytona. They are both outstanding. I am more in comfort with the Daytona only because of the 60ft choice over the 45ft choice. For my quick pace, the math is easier with the 15-30-60 than the 15-30-45. I find no particular advantage from one to the other in terms of meter speed. Again, both are excellent.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 6 2010 1:06 PM

What neil says is right. The Putting Tips in the FAQs -------->will explain the avatar move thing and take notice-nobody is saying anything about the other 2 putters. 

• Shadowhawk1967
    31 Posts
    Tue, Apr 6 2010 4:07 PM

I haven't been here too long but the putter I was recommended was the Daytona.  For me it's well worth the 700 credits.

I am a little sloppy on my putting but the forgiveness of the Daytona is outstanding..

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Tue, Apr 6 2010 6:21 PM

AlexaF:
    I was thinking of getting a putter, but not sure which one, wanted to hear opinions

Funny! After a couple of bad shots at Bethpage I decided to take a break and come here to ask that exact question... and I found that "fresh-out-of-the-oven thread!

I was contemplating the 2 major putters described here but I figured out I really need something with a moderate meter speed. So the Daytona seems to be the way to go. That explains the big difference in cost. The Spider also is interesting too and has the lowest meter speed but seems to have some precision issues according to several threads. I'm right now using the Ping Anser and the meter speed is just brutal!

A fast meter is not necessarily the problem for me. It's rather the fact that I use clubs with different speeds ...it' hard to keep the beat!

Rob

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Tue, Apr 6 2010 9:31 PM
    I just bought the daytona putter and i wish i had done it weeks ago. My putting improved so much i took on bp 18 holes for the first. I ended up with a 70 with 9 two putts, 8 one putts and 1 three putt. I got an eagle, a bp gold rage award what ever that is and 1 more award for something. My advise to anyone is buy the daytona putter and buy today it will knock mucho strokes off your score no problem, its wicked!.. its really wicked!! griff....or rent it
  • borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 10:11 AM

The only thing about the daytona or redwood too I suppose is that it does take some adjustments if you used either the anser or spider. Much more accurate but if your aim is bad or you miss the ding meter by much then you hit a bad putt. So just work on making good aims and ding the meter and you have an great chance to make your putts.

• PAGES
RSS