Forums

Help › Forums

Re: First clubs

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 2 2010 9:28 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
    1,644 Posts
    Thu, Apr 1 2010 7:32 PM

Hey... don't knock Hello Kitty!   I  my laptop!

*edit*  where what this ^^^^^^^ thread in the recent news feature?!?

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Thu, Apr 1 2010 7:42 PM

Well played.  Advantage Federales. 

However, since you're only a shake of a lamb's tail over 69 million away and the Maserati might not appeal to your eye, perhaps the newly added Ferrari might be right up your alley.  That is unless Niv hasn't already claimed it as his company car.

And it appears after a few too many 3 putts at Oakmont,  Mr. WGT has put the old flatstick on the market.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 4:40 AM

I can agree with one thing the refund guy says ... with this erratic meter it makes play difficult ... and the meter does need some attention .... because the faster speed irons are too much to handle without a decently smooth meter ... then it becomes the case of not who makes a better shot, but who is best able to cope with a malfunctioning game system ...

It would go a long way toward leveling the playing field ....

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 6:10 AM

"because the faster speed irons are too much to handle without a decently smooth meter"

So how are the best players in this game only playing fast meter equipment?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 6:24 AM

neildiamond11790:
    So how are the best players in this game only playing fast meter equipment?

You will adapt, especially if the speeds are consistent throughout your bag. Slowing the meter down with G balls helps quite a bit but if you have several different speeds to deal with this "adapting" becomes more difficult. At first swing the faster clubs seem like they're jet propelled but you'd be comparing them to the slow you're used to.

Dinging the swing is overrated. Read Bollox's anatomy of his 54 and you'll see he doesn't ding every shot but he's very close. His clubs are all fast but he slows them down with the GI-SD ball which tends to smooth out the meter. If anything, the ball gives you time to react to a stutter. The attributes of the faster clubs makes it really worthwhile to master the faster meter.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 6:47 AM

Exactly, I know, was just posing that question to the earlier person saying fast meter was a hinderance, but as you see all the top players use fast clubs.  More importantly like you mentioned is a consistent meter speed and not fast driver, slow irons, fast wedges.  Makes it harder to time.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 6:58 AM

neal ... one has only to look in their bags ... and the ones who use the slower speed irons use the faster meter drivers and wedges ...

YJ ... dinging the meter is not overrated ... the better you are at it, the more precise and effective your shots are .... try missing the meter all the time with the g-10 irons and you will find that the lack of forgiveness will get you long putts from tough places ... try missing it all the time with any set of irons by the way and you will find yourself scoring poorly ....  and indeed the GI-SD balls slow the meter somewhat but to say they smooth the meter is an overstatement ... they might give you the time to react to a stutter meaning you can let it run through without clicking but they do absolutely nothing in the case of a meter spike (surge)  or sudden meter freeze as you are already committed and in the process of clicking when it happens ... not to mention that your meter speeds are never consistent anyway ... watch your meter when it is not operating ideally and you will see it speed up and slow down as it moves toward the strike zone ...

In my opinion , the issue of meter irregularity is one that defininately needs attention ... per my original point , the best players should not be defined by experiencing less meter irregularity and/or better ability to cope with the malfunctions of the system ...

And by the way neil ... i never said that the faster meter was a hinderance ...

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 7:43 AM

YankeeJim:
    You will adapt, especially if the speeds are consistent throughout your bag. Slowing the meter down with G balls helps quite a bit but if you have several different speeds to deal with this "adapting" becomes more difficult

Absolutely

I didn't necessarily look for the best clubs when I decided to equip myself well for the Pro level

I looked at all the clubs and what each gave you and importantly the cost versus the help they gave you

The main thing though is, since the old days when I was young and fit and played the real game several times a week I have had a very negative thing about Ping clubs so I actually, and possibly wrongly, discounted them straight away, even the putters

I therefore decided to go with the Taylor Made Tour Burner Pro woods and irons, the Satin TP Pro 54 and 60 wedges and the Daytona putter which gave me what I considered the best return for my pennies and are all the same swing speed which I believe possibly the most important

Whether I have done right I don't really care.  I have done what I felt was right and if you have confidence in your bag................................!!

Mick

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 9:28 AM

donsprintr:
    YJ ... dinging the meter is not overrated ... the better you are at it, the more precise and effective your shots are

Yes, you are right. I am sure Bollox tries to ding every shot but when he doesn't he's close and this is what I mean about being overrated. I didn't say miss on purpose, just that all is not lost if you don't. 

As for missing intentionally, you should know I do do that. Yes, it skews the G10 accuracy so I use the GI ball to overcome that and always try to ding a shot but also try to miss on the correct side of the ding, if I miss. It's a lazy, casual way to play and is fun but i have it down. Tournaments are another story.

donsprintr:
    but to say they smooth the meter is an overstatement ..

Didn't say that. I said they tend to smooth it out as the allusion is such and my meter is very consistent with the speed of the day. Heh-nothing is going to fix that drop dead stop in the middle of your backswing. Fortunately I don't see that very often and when I do it's because I'm playing fast.

• PAGES
RSS