Re: What opens up other courses?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 11 2010 4:45 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Apr 7 2010 3:38 PM

Doublemochaman:

Da nada, Salamii.  Wondering if I'll ever make "Post of the Week"...  :)

Nope.  IQ is too high.  lol

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 12:05 PM

Pebble Beach would be a nice challenge or even Harbour Towne with its postage stamp size greens

• MMATycoon
    6 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 12:09 PM

Are the CTTH courses not complete and ready to open up to stroke play? I personally have no interest in the CTTH competitions at all and had assumed that there was a rotation in play here where some courses would move from stroke to CTTH and vice versa.

Having spent $45 on clubs I was coming to the forums to see when this rotation would be, as I'm pretty bored of the 2.5 courses, after 3 days of playing... If there is no rotation I can't say that I'm particularly happy about that and would appreciate knowing why those courses can't be opened up to stroke play. Thanks.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 2:06 PM

Hi Mat,

There is no rotation in play.  This game was founded on the CTTH competition (PGA Charity Skills Challenge) so we intend to stick to that and offer a healthy mix of CTTH and stroke play.  Some of the lesser known courses were only intended for CTTH and weren't fully shot from tee to green. 

The courses that you can play tee to green are Kiawah Island, Bethpage Black & the Front 9 of the Old Course at St. Andrews.  At this moment work is being completed on the Back 9 of St. Andrews as well as the full 18 of Oakmont CC.  We are still in BETA (still building the foundation) and will continue to deliver more championship quality courses as the game grows.  Our recent partnership announcement with the USGA will help facilitate bringing more high quality courses into the mix, so there is still much to be done. =)

• MMATycoon
    6 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 4:45 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. To me it seems a very strange business decision indeed, to only shoot/map let's say 70% of a course. Those courses seem interesting and I was looking forwards to actually playing them.

Although the game may have been founded around the CTTH, it's a very limited concept and I would imagine going forwards that the vast majority of site useage and income will end up related to stroke play. This game is a sim rather than an arcade game so I would imagine most people who stumble across it will be wanting to sim golf as realistically as possible, not engage in an arcadey (I personally find gimmicky) game, in CTTH. I used to play shot online and decided to try WGT because it looked like it was as close to playing (proper) golf as possible.

Going forward I'm not sure of any reason not to complete the existing courses with fairly high priority, otherwise I imagine you get  a pretty high turnover of players with such limited stroke play (the part of the game which provides the most variation in terms of playability). 1.5 more courses will definitely help.

As for being in beta, having been on the site for a few days it looks to me like this game is beta in name only. I run an MMOG too and displayed the site as beta for about 6 months. You guys have been going since 2008 according to the news archive and everything seems polished. At whatever point in the future you drop the beta tag, the site won't be fundamentally any less beta like, it will just have more content.

Anyway, I like the site and the game - it's well put together... I just hope you add more courses soon because like I said, I'm bored of the 2.5 courses already. If I hadn't just spent a load of money on clubs I'd probably have drifted away from the site after a couple of days. I can't see your stats but I would guess that is not uncommon.

• PAGES
RSS