Forums

Help › Forums

Master 64 degree wedge?

Sun, Apr 11 2010 9:39 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 6:57 PM

Any chance a Master Tier 64 is in the works?

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 7:00 PM

Why?

Unless you're dying for a top performing wedge that goes 65-70 yards full, you can already get most desired yardage combinations with the current array of Pro and Master level wedges available.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 8:33 PM

The 60 yard full Ping 64 Wedge is my absolute favorite club right now.  Just curious as to why they have the Master version in the 54 and 60, but not the 64.  Nothing flops better than the 64 IMO.

edit****  Here is an even easier answer.  I have the Master 54 and 60.  I want a Master 64.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 11:31 PM

In the WGT wedge business, Pro = Master.  There is no advantage to the Master clubs as the ratings are the same.  The only difference is the yardage travelled.  The Masters go 10 yards further and cost 50 credits more.  The performance is the same.

So the Master club you desire will perform the same as the one you have except go 70 yards instead of 60 yards.  You own and bag a Master 60W that goes 85 yards.  Why do you want to make that only a 15 yard gap instead of leaving it at 25 yards?   I would think you might like the lower yardage for the ability to be more creative around the green.  Some even prefer the TM 64W that goes 50 yards.

Unless you want to go with 2 wedges instead of 3 or some other combination.  If that's the case, you can just buy the Pro 60W that goes 75 yards and save 50 credits.   Or maybe at SA in lighter winds you might want to get medieval and try rolling with 4 wedges.

And in addition to Pro = Master, PING and TM are pretty much interchangeable as far as performance.  So it really just becomes a matter filling your gaps with distance intervals your comfortable hitting to.  

So if you're merely looking swap 64W's, I just don't get the play, as you'd be paying 250 credits in exchange for limiting your creativity.  The quintessential "lose - lose" scenario.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 4:10 AM

Thank you very much for the info.  I had no idea performance attributes (except yardage) were identical between Pro and Master Wedges.  I never considered doing a comparo.  Just assumed they were more precise.    And you are also correct that I do not want to trade a 60yd wedge for a 65.  The range is why I like it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 6:35 AM

OaktheToke:
    Or maybe at SA in lighter winds you might want to get medieval and try rolling with 4 wedges.

Heh-The very same suggestion that go me labeled crazy. The Taylor 105 yard wedge, as a fourth, makes a nice connection between the G10 PW (115) and the Taylor 90 yard wedge.

It also conveniently drops out for the HB or 3W, in the event you need a fairway club without leaving a big gap (the G10 PW punches 98) but the lower flight and higher spin make it quite useful in high winds form 100 yards out, or so.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 7:47 PM

ghettocop1:
    Thank you very much for the info

no problem

YankeeJim:
    Heh-The very same suggestion that go me labeled crazy. 

Well, that was because I know your staring at life through that pinstriped viewfinder otherwise known as Yankees vision.  :)

I get the 4 wedge approach, and shrinking the gaps between the clubs you hit the most is always preferred, but like I mentioned before, the only place its should be an option is SA in lighter winds.  

You want to reach any par 5 in 2 if possible to give yourself the maximum amount of opportunities to score.  if pulling a fairway wood for a 4th wedge sacrifices this, than you are giving up strokes before you even tee off.

For SA, it is not an option in heavy winds, but moderate winds one may have an argument.  The only par 5 is hole #5.  One might, even if faced with a headwind, reach the green in 2 with a G10 3 iron.  However, its more than likely you will still fall short in this circumstance and be faced with a more difficult eagle opportunity.  Below is an example of this happening.  I saved the shot in my replays.

I didn't "ding" the drive but did "ding" my 3 iron approach with a touch of topspin.  Could it have carried the green if I had made a better drive?  Sure, but my drive was still pretty good.  Even if I had made the green on the fly and ran the full distance it would have funneled to the right.   This isn't that bad of a headwind either.  It could have been a touch higher in velocity and blowing more directly in my face, essentially guaranteeing me no shot whatsoever at eagle.

On the other hand, a properly executed 3W landing on the upslope of the mound to the front left of the pin should trickle down nicely enough to give me a good look at eagle.  The landing spot is also large enough to allow for a little bit of deviation with the approach.

I just believe sacrificing a good look at eagle is not worth decreasing gaps between your PW and LW by about 5 yards, especially when I'm fully comfortable hitting 75%+ shots with all my wedges.  

But this is the only ranked round scenario which I believe bagging 4 wedges may be open for a debate regarding benefits outweighing drawbacks.  The TM Tour Preferreds also mix up the debate, as the 3 iron goes 2 extra yards and the PW goes 122 instead of 115, increasing the benefit of the wedge. 

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 10:00 PM

If you'd have gone full topspin you could have gotten even closer Oak.  I've experimented w/ dropping 3w on st andy on moderate wind.  And have hit some 255 yard 3i's into the wind landing on the downlope 25 yards short of the green.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 12:08 AM

I went half topspin Bolli.  I know I should experiment more, as I rarely hit topspin, punches, and chips, but I tend to hit what I know and I share Allen Iverson's affection for practice.

So you're saying you feel comfortable enough that you can reach the pin in 2 regardless of any headwind you'll see that you bag a 4th wedge during competition in moderate winds? Do you add something in between 115 and 90 or that starter 60W you like to give you a 3rd 60W in you bag?  ;)

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 7:14 AM

Any moderate wind you should be able to get there with a 3i,  usually can't if its 25+ in your face without a miracle bounce on the drive. 

If the 105 wedge performed a little better I'd probably take that over a 3w on moderate,  but that thing hits the ball so damn high in the air that the wind blows it all over the place.

• PAGES
RSS