Forums

Help › Forums

Wind yardage judge help plz

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 29 2010 2:15 AM (7 replies)
  • Psyrex
    4 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2010 11:46 PM
    i've been over many posts in different areas, and played alot of this game(for testing/prac'in) So far came up empty - other than wind direction stuff which was helpful but not quite what i was after. What I'd like to know, if anyone knows, is there a general rule of thumb for adding / subtracting yds based on the wind speed(and direction). Say for instance 168 to the hole, no up or down, wind appears right to left from 5 oclock to 11 oclock or |\ (
  • AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 10:15 AM

Everyone is playing with different gear and balls.  There won't really be any "conventional" wisdom on the wind as everyone's game is different on top of that.  SOME prefer to let the ball bounce and roll - some prefer to backspin it and stop it or sometimes even overspin it.  I myself use a variety of these which can vary based on the hole and even with the wind.

The kind of advice you are asking for MAY appear from other members in this thread - but be careful - it can get you frustrated if the way they play their game or the gear they use differs.

In short - PRACTICE is really the only answer.  Make YOUR game consistent - and yes it take time an is frustrating - but that's really the best way you will find this answer.

Regards, AtlantaCoaster

• Psyrex
    4 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 1:56 PM
    my post got cut way short :(
  • ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 4:29 PM

It's all a "feel" thing.  You'll get it with time.  

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 6:01 PM

I will say this.....I just had 20 MPH wind to 3 O'Clock.....so AGAIN I aimed accordingly......what happened....no wind and I ended up in 40/50 fescue....WHAT???????hit the meter dead on perfect and nothing....like it was 1 MPH wind.......

Been happening A LOT lately and is very very FRUSTRATING to say the least.  Yes cleared everything, that isn't the issue.....but something is.....

The game is getting annoying again....just when I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel......

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 8:27 PM

I had a shot into a 19mph wind and it knocked my ball down like the wind was 29mph, very frustrating but something you have to live with until they find a way to make it real.

• sortalong
    2 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 10:02 PM
    i dont know who wrote the code that factors in the wind effect but its damn obviouis they didnt spend enough time on it... if its gusting the meter should say so.. .. what im finding is... if Mr W G and his Wife T deem u fortunate to make great shots... then u will... regardless of true skill ... honestly... the physics of this particular game have no consitency when it counts and its damn fustrating to have yer best shots the result of PURE LUCK
  • micklen
    221 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 2:15 AM

From my many years of playing golf sims I have always found that wind effects are the part of the game that can cause more woes than any other

Links wasn't too bad until they introduced the 'Tree' effect where trees were supposed to affect the way the wind affected your shot.  They also introduced 'Gusty' which really compounded the error

Since then playing in windy or gusty has become a total lottery

You can begin your swing in a gentle breeze coming over your shoulder and when your swing finishes you are facing a raging storm straight in your face

Ok maybe that is exaggerating a little, but it often feels that way and before anyone says 'Well life can be like that'  IRL you can feel wind changes as you swing and can hopefully stop your swing.  In Links it happens after you have started your swing and it's too late to do anything

I am starting to see that in WGT, if not to the same extent.  I do understand how difficult it is to get a fair wind but that doesn't help your temper when a shot fired into a strong wind goes flying over the green or one into a breeze lands way short and of course, the thing that has happened to me several times, you aim for a strong side wind and it stays straight

So basically what I am saying is it's not just WGT that has this problem, but that don't help does it

RSS