Help › Forums

new ideas for the pro shop to improve player performance

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 30 2010 5:00 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 6:24 PM

Perhaps WGT could add golf shoes and golf gloves in the pro shop to enhance player performance. Right now shoes and golf gloves are just part of the avatar and for show only. Shoes what ever brand that WGT could work out a sponsorship with could enhance player stability and offer a slightly slower swing meter much like the balls with more feel. Pro level would decrease meter speed slightly and master level would slow it slightly more.

Same as with the shoes a sponsorship with a glove company could offer pro and master level gloves that would increase control of the club and offer an increase in club precision. 1/2 dot for pro level gloves and a full dot for master level gloves.

Or maybe these could be offered as part of an avatar package. Making the avatar more than just how you look.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 7:12 PM

Good idea, man.  Shoes that slow down the meter are a really good idea.  Performance suffers when using the meter slowing balls, I think.  I would definitely sink some money into new kicks!

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 9:19 PM

Pretty slick ideas there.

Increased power is the only thing I'm after though. :(

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 9:44 PM

I do disagree.  Basically you'd be making it into a EA sports game except we'd be paying for the skill level increase instead of earning it.  I hate that model altogether.  It's what I like about WGT, you are as good as your ability to play combined with equipment performance, much like real golf.  The day I can purchase a sweater vest that increases my ability to score is the last day that I will be playing here.

More customizable attire would be a welcome addition, I just don't want it to affect the skill level.  The game is already easy enough as it is.  Tinker too much and you'll end up in Disneyland.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Mon, Mar 15 2010 1:35 AM

Shoes and gloves are part of our equipment in real life. And in some cases such as mine with a foot problem my shoes are actually more important than any other piece of equipment. If my shoes don't stabilize my foot well and also give adequate arch support I would not even be able to play. In real life our shoes and glove do affect skill level. Really good shoes help with your balance and timing. Balance and timing would be comparable to a slower meter on here. We already have balls that slow the meter and in real life balls would not affect your timing at all. 

As for the gloves a really well made correct fitting glove gives you a better grip on the club which would affect the precision of your clubs. 

We all buy the best we can afford to enhance our skill level in real life why not here. And we already buy equipment that affects skill level.Pro and master a clubs with higher precision and balls with added distance spin and feel do affect skill levels. 

I am not talking about shoes or gloves that add distance or even accuracy to your shots. You still have to ding the meter or get pretty close to a ding to hit good shots. You still have to make the right club selection and make solid decisions on how to play your shot to play well.

But everyone has a right to their own opinion and I respect you for yours. We certainly don't want WGT to become cartoonish where just by buying things everyone can shoot 25's or 55's. If that happens indeed we would have the equivalent of Disneyland. 

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Mon, Mar 15 2010 3:09 PM

I hear what your saying.  I don't mind the additions being available.  It might make it fun to accessorize.   I just don't agree with them actually improving performance.  We could then begin to argue that anything improves performance, like a vizor giving you better vision on a sunny day.

Many golfers choose to golf without a glove altogether, particularly with advancement in in grip technology.  I'm trying to migrate to this myself on days that aren't too humid.  Also, I would say that for most, shoes aren't that instrumental to performance either as there's a tour player that basically plays in Vans.

I just see it as a slippery slope of increasing performance.  Where does it stop.  Shoes, gloves, vizors, sunglasses, tees, grips, club-cleaning brushes and towels, sports drinks.  Some of these items would seem to give a golfer more of a mental edge than a physical edge.  As a former great FSU cornerback once declared, "Look good, feel good.  Feel good, play good."

I respect your opinion as well and just presenting an alternative point of view.  Take care Sting.

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Mon, Mar 15 2010 4:53 PM

OaktheToke

I agree with you, I don't think every accessory should increase attributes.  But I thought I'd share this article I came across about the effects of golf shoes.  http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/1992/golfer-1202.html

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Mon, Mar 15 2010 5:23 PM

Thetruth67:
    But I thought I'd share this article I came across about the effects of golf shoes.  http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/1992/golfer-1202.html

MIT news:
    project-funded by Foot-Joy

Well, I wasn't expecting them to have results concluding anything but the intended goal, whether accurate or merely manipulated.  Thanks for the article though, good read.

Shoes may improve someone's performance.  Purists may argue that the perfect golf swing would perform smoothly even if hit barefoot.  Lord knows JD has tried.  

I think proper footwear has as much role in the golf swing as to give that player acceptable stability in performing said swing to its intended purposes.  No shoe will perform above and beyond the same level of stability that we're all intending to replicate on every sing shot.   For some it may be NIKE or FJ's lastest with Scorpion Stinger spikes.  To others, it may be a a pair of running or cross-training sneakers for comfort.  

For Ryan Moore, it's Puma C-Hoppers.  I'm guessing these wouldn't score too well in the MIT boys study.  LOL.

A golf ball effects every single shot one takes, including a putt.  Shoes and gloves do not.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Mar 15 2010 9:41 PM

OaktheToke:
    For Ryan Moore, it's Puma C-Hoppers.

Other than the crummy hat, the need of a decent shave and haircut, a more attractive,better fitting shirt, a pair of slacks instead of cheap po boy jeans and a pair of golf shoes instead of skateboarder shoes...I think he looks somewhat trashy. I wouldn't want a charactor like that cutting my lawn.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Mon, Mar 15 2010 10:51 PM

SweetiePie:
    Other than the crummy hat, the need of a decent shave and haircut, a more attractive,better fitting shirt, a pair of slacks instead of cheap po boy jeans and a pair of golf shoes instead of skateboarder shoes...I think he looks somewhat trashy. I wouldn't want a charactor like that cutting my lawn.

LOL, that's pretty much the same response I got from my pops when I told him to watch a replay of the final round of the HSBC Champions in Shanghai, which was, and still is, some of the best golf I've seen in quite a while.  While shaggy in appearance, Ryan's game is pretty slick.  Although it sounds like he still has a way to go before climbing the ranks of the elite short-list of SP gentleman callers. :)

• PAGES
RSS