Forums

Help › Forums

a Pitch shot with a Pitching Wedge

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 15 2010 6:14 AM (5 replies)
  • igiveup
    110 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 12:44 PM
    When I play a full pitch shot with a G10 masters pitching wedge the ball goes anywhere between 50 and 70 metres. The predicted distance for the shot type/Club is 39 metres. Is this a bug or part of the game?.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 1:14 PM

igiveup:
    The predicted distance for the shot type/Club is 39 metres.

Your pitch shot will roll out at the end. You can control this to some degree with spin but for the most part expect the yardage to be as you have seen,. Two things you might try would be a partial swing or adding backspin. It isn't hard to map the roll after landing as long as you factor in the uphill/downhill landing. A punch shot is a bit easier to control as it doesn't have quite as much rollout and backspin will slow this down. Whatever you do don't take the 39 yard rating as gospel. LOL-guess you already know that.  

As a for instance, I use my 77wedge a lot in the punch mode-it advertises 63 and goes at least 66 on flat landing. However, partial swings with backspin let me use this for 55-60 yard shots. Hope this helps. GL

• igiveup
    110 Posts
    Mon, Mar 15 2010 3:30 AM
    Thanks for the information jim.. but ther shot I'm playing is a pitch.... with a wedge... and in particular my pitching wedge.... so its short ball flight maybe 20 metres at most followed by 40 to 50 metres rolll.... without backspin... I use a GI Tour-S ball with a Ping G10 masters pitching wedge... so why does it roll so far...?
  • igiveup
    110 Posts
    Mon, Mar 15 2010 4:02 AM
    I've just hit 8 full pitch shots on the 1st at St Andrews with a pitching wedge.... and a full 60 degree wedge pitch.... that is 7 pw then 1 60 and 1 pw... which holed out... on a hole 369 metres... allowing for the greater retardation of a ball in a fairway... I was still able to average 43.75 metres per pitch with a pitching wedge.... with neutral spin. The shot distance is 39 metres according to the caddie.... the wind was across and into the player... as Professor Julius Sumner Miller asked... why is it so? The ball rolling speed for putting verses pitching on theses green is greatly inaccurate.
  • ncviz
    527 Posts
    Mon, Mar 15 2010 5:12 AM
    giveup... That number at the very start of this game used to represent the carry of the pitch, in zero wind/el conditions. Alot of new players didn't understand that and sort made WGT come up with a number more tailored towards the total carry/roll. But ever since it got changed the first time, the number tagged along with every club didn't really mean too much. It's a case where they had it right the first time, but changed it anyway in my view. Hope that helps explain some things.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 15 2010 6:14 AM

There is also another interesting quirk showing up here. It might be the wind or the hard fairways at SA but  try the same test at BPB-I used the 10th fairway and caught a 2 mph win in practice mode. With the free ball the club nails that yardage, very consistently. With the SD ball it picks up a yard or 2. Interestingly enough, with that 2 mph wind pitching against it got 37 and with it got 41.

I went back to SA and sure enough your numbers are right on. It was hard to get a low wind condition there but with a 13 mph tailwind I was able to get in the fat part of the fairway and chip side ways to turn it into a crosswind. Your numbers still held up.

I mentioned the punch shot but neglected to say drop down to the 64 wedge. That's where the 41 yards came in so instead of pitching with the set wedge to get 39 drop down to a 64 wedge (41 yds) and back off the swing. It doesn't roll as much. I did the same test at SA and the punch was consistently 41 with a full swing.

Apparently the fairways at SA are really hard and the ball rolls quite a bit. Not so at BPB!

RSS