Forums

Help › Forums

36 on St. Andrew's....

Mon, Mar 8 2010 5:32 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Skipppppy
    16 Posts
    Sat, Mar 6 2010 6:36 AM

Just shot a 36 on St.Andrew's.  Missed four birdie putts.  Hit every fairway and green, except #7 where I couldn't reach the fairway and then hit over the green.  Even got on the green in two on the par 5, but three putted [I'll admit it, I suck at putting].

Did I mention that I had dropped the driver, 3w, and 3h and carried 5 wedges?  And still shot a 36!

Not braggin', just pointing out that this shouldn't be able to happen.  WGT needs to move back the tees, crank up the wind, and throw in a little rain for good measure.

Just when I thought this game was getting boring, they added a new course.  And then just when I thought that course was getting a little boring, I changed up my clubs and it made it exciting again.  I can't wait to get back out there and see if I can shoot under par without any big-headed clubs in my bag.

I LOVE this game!

-skip

• IndianaSniff
    1 Posts
    Sat, Mar 6 2010 1:49 PM

I always was told you can hit about the same score using a five iron, a wedge and a putter

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Sat, Mar 6 2010 2:22 PM

St Andrews was made long before300yard drivers were made this course was played with hickory sticks origanaly

thx chip

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sat, Mar 6 2010 3:33 PM

I'd like a hickory shaft option for my clubs.  Just for St. Andrews.  Maybe some gutta percha balls, too.  Seriously.  That would be fun.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Sat, Mar 6 2010 4:54 PM
    I shot -1 over 3 holes in real life with just a 2 iron, birdied a short downhill par 3 by opening my stance and taking a slap with the 2 iron slicing to about 8 ft, closing the face to make the 2 iron flat, drained it, then hit into 2 par 4's reaching the green in 2 on 1 hole, and missing right on the second. Flop 2 iron chip, and a putt, -1 for 3 holes. I used to only play with a 3+ wood, slightly longer than standar 3 wood, and it worked for many years. $400 drivers are overrated.
  • callawayjay
    46 Posts
    Sat, Mar 6 2010 9:08 PM

Not sure if you are playing it ranked or not, but with the back tees and super fast greens, much luck is involved especially when the winds howl.

I love it.  Much better than BP Black.  At least you can score.  And it's not about putting X shot here like BPB.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sat, Mar 6 2010 9:34 PM

Not surprising at all, most of the holes are short enough to reach with a Driver and a wedge.

• Skipppppy
    16 Posts
    Sun, Mar 7 2010 3:21 PM

Just found out that the wind is cranked up on the St. Andrews ready-go.  As big as 31 mph, averaging 26/27.  Nice!  Need the driver for that one!

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Sun, Mar 7 2010 3:30 PM

Skipppppy:

Did I mention that I had dropped the driver, 3w, and 3h and carried 5 wedges?  And still shot a 36!

Play the Ready Go with those clubs and report back here with what you scored ;).

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sun, Mar 7 2010 3:57 PM

Skip, the set up for St Andrews is exactly the same as the other 2 courses available for stroke play.  The default for a standard ranked round is moderate winds.  In order to play that course in a more challenging ranked round, you need to look to the tournaments, Ready-Gos and Weekies.

I noticed that you just played your first RG after a lot of normal ranked rounds.  I also noticed you haven't played in this week's 9 hole single play tournament yet.  Why not?  That's free and it is St. Andrews in a heavy wind set you mentioned that WGT needs to do.  

They are doing the same pattern with the wind sets that they are doing on the other 2 courses.  Make sure to check out all your available options.  Good luck.  ;)

• PAGES
RSS