Forums

Help › Forums

The Lure

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 8 2010 9:22 AM (7 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 6:18 PM

Hipocracy is something I avoid, when possible. Since day one the posting of all my scores has been my creed. St. Andrews came along, and I found myself going consistantly low to a point that my average was at 60 and small change. The small change created a monster that was intent upon eliminating it. 59+larger change became the object. But, it was a lure I bit at then sensibly spit out. The unhappy chase of an phony average is not for me. 

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 6:47 PM

LOL, how altruistic of you.

I don't get people's fixation with averages lately.  Seems like the topic on the tip of many tongues.  If its not this its quitters.  If its not quitters, its cheaters.  I feel like we should have a special "Dr. Phil's Lounge" section of the forum. :)

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 6:59 PM

Everyone plays in their own way.  There is no right or wrong unless you are sandbagging for credits.  There would be no "quit" option in ranked rounds if boosting your average was frowned upon.  You are indeed a big person for posting each and every score.  Others may do it differently.  It all comes out in the wash eventually.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 7:02 PM

I can say I was pretty obsessed with a low average once I become master, but the last couple of days I decided to just let the chips fall where they will.  I have really good rounds, and really average rounds, and my average goes between 61 to 65, sometimes in a day I can move 4 points in either direction, like today, started at 65, now 61.8.  Play the round, where the score ends up is where its posted.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 7:05 PM

OaktheToke:
    LOL, how altruistic of you.

That would be the unselfish concern for others by defination. That is not the case. This concerns me only and how I wish to play. What others do is their business and not mine in concern or interest. It is simply an obversation of self that is probably universal when unattended.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 8:04 PM

SweetiePie:
    It is simply an obversation of self that is probably universal when unattended.

It wasn't a bash on you, its was more an observation of topic even though improperly related.  

Playing ranked rounds of St Andrews in moderate conditions should lower one's score, much like playing the back 9 at Kiawah.  Being that the course is new, I'd expect everyones avg to drop a touch.  Once incorporating more play under harsher wind conditions like in the St. Andrew's RG or the Weeklies, I would expect avgs to come back up.  

Sure having a sub 60 average would be nice, but I wouldn't want to have to sacrifice other aspects of gameplay and overall enjoyment in order to achieve or maintain it.  It is just a game after all and as one Aussie playing a Roman once declared, "what we do in life echoes in eternity."

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 8:24 PM

OaktheToke:
    It wasn't a bash on you, its was more an observation of topic even though improperly related.  

Oh, it was taken not as a bash but an undeserved compliment.

• borntobesting
    9,626 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 9:22 AM

OaktheToke:

SweetiePie:
    It is simply an obversation of self that is probably universal when unattended.

Playing ranked rounds of St Andrews in moderate conditions should lower one's score, much like playing the back 9 at Kiawah.  Being that the course is new, I'd expect everyones avg to drop a touch.  Once incorporating more play under harsher wind conditions like in the St. Andrew's RG or the Weeklies, I would expect avgs to come back up.  

Sure having a sub 60 average would be nice, but I wouldn't want to have to sacrifice other aspects of gameplay and overall enjoyment in order to achieve or maintain it.  It is just a game after all and as one Aussie playing a Roman once declared, "what we do in life echoes in eternity."

Even in the harsher conditions of the rg's low scores can be shot at St. Andrews. I shot my best score at St. Andrews so far in the last RG I played in, Also had a so-so round but it was not the conditions of St. Andrews but me just not paying close enough attention to what I was doing. Some of my better scoring over all is beginning to understand the nuances of avatar movements for putting distance control and also my new Daytona putter. Before I just guessed at when the meter needed to be on puts got some good results and some that we downright awful. My so-so score was caused mainly by double bogying the first 2 holes my not noting the green speed before playing the first 2 holes. big mistake.

RSS