Forums

Help › Forums

Our 4 Nines

Thu, Feb 25 2010 2:21 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 5:52 PM

I was wondering what others thought about the ease or difficulty of the current foresome of nine holes we play. From easier to harder, mine is thus:

1) Kiawah back nine

2) BPB front nine

3) Kiawah front nine

4) BPB back nine

What are your rankings?

• onestonemanone
    45 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 6:17 PM

for me that is close

1)KI b9

2)KIf9

3)BPB f9

4)BPB b9

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 6:27 PM
    Mine are the same as your SP. Kiawah back 9 BPB front 9 Kiawah front 9 BPB back 9 The front nine at Kiawah would not be that tough except for 4 and 5 and the difficult putts on the 7 and 8 holes. Nine is a par hole for me for some reason as well. BPB is mainly last due to #15 which can turn a 4 foot birdie into a double bogey. The wind at Kiawah could make it more difficult. The course itself usually has a wind off the ocean, meaning blowing across the course, if that wind was consistently on the back nine, it would not be so easy. Imagine being on #17 with a 20 MPH wind blowing across the green and having to hang your iron shot over the water.
  • jimgriff
    127 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 8:42 PM

Ki F9

BP F9

Ki B9

BP  B9

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Feb 23 2010 5:04 AM

SweetiePie:

1) Kiawah back nine

2) BPB front nine

3) Kiawah front nine

4) BPB back nine

I'll agree with your assessment although under certain conditions #2 and #3 are interchangeable.  I think Kia F9 is harder than BP F9 in high winds.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Feb 23 2010 5:13 AM

Kiawah B9

Kiawah F9

BPB F9

BPB B9

Kiawah B9 barely edges out Kiawah F9 for easiest.   Kiawah F9 has the easiest 3 consecutive holes in 1, 2, and 3.   I'm always disappointed if I end up on hole 4 without being -3.

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Feb 23 2010 5:20 AM

marioh:
    Kiawah F9 has the easiest 3 consecutive holes in 1, 2, and 3.
    This is true, but then there is #4 (remember that one in the early days lol) and then #5, probably the most skill demanding par 3 in here, not to mention #8 and #9 coming down the stretch...

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Feb 23 2010 5:55 AM

marioh:
    Kiawah F9 has the easiest 3 consecutive holes in 1, 2, and 3.
    This is true, but then there is #4 (remember that one in the early days lol) and then #5, probably the most skill demanding par 3 in here, not to mention #8 and #9 coming down the stretch...

Yeah, 4 can be a real momentum killer, especially back in the old days with the reduced distances and no spin.   Back then, I considered par a win on that hole and on 5.  

5 used to drive me nuts (from the tee), but once I got the G10's, I didn't need loads of luck to stick the green.

I consider the back 9 just slightly easier than the front 9 overall.   That's mostly due to the water hazards on the back 9 dragging down my overall back 9 average.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Feb 23 2010 7:29 AM

One thing that can get me exercised is that I find Kiawah hole #2 to be the easiest par we have and never a done deal birdie regardless of how close I get it to the pin. The most annoying 3' to 4' putts I can think of.

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Tue, Feb 23 2010 8:25 AM
    Having played the Ocean Course at Kiawah a number of times, I can say that the green speed is only that fast in the spring or fall and a number of the pin placements on the front nine are in places that the pins are never placed. The pin placement on #2 is very difficult, trying to get close to the pin is not as important as being 5 feet below it.
  • PAGES
RSS