Forums

Help › Forums

Rogue Flash Element...

Wed, Feb 17 2010 11:10 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
    1,644 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 1:46 PM

I have a small theory that I'd like to put out to the community (mostly to prove that I'm not, in fact, insane)....  

I've noticed lately that the widget (or whatever you want to call it) in the top left corner with your name, score, etc. has an effect to it that pops up every once in a while.  It's a sort of glimmer or glean effect.  I've noticed lately that when this happens I get a moderate to significant spike in my swing meter.  I'm guessing that because it is an animation that happens when everything else is still, it is causing a cpu spike.  This seems similar to the issues I had before there was the ability to turn the flag animation off.  My putting meter in those conditions was severely affected by the animation of the flags.  (I run a bare minimum requirements system)  Of course if my theory is correct, then multiplayer rounds will probably be compounded by this event depending on the number of players.

So please keep an eye on this visual effect and any relation to swing meter smoothness, and report any findings back here.  

NOTE:  This is a constructive thread to prove or disprove a particular theory, it is not intended to become a b*^&$ fest over the meter, the beast, or the so-called vemmie.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 1:54 PM

Are you talking about the white flash that traverses the widget just under the name? I see it when waiting for opp's shot. (Not usually looking there when it's my turn ;-)  )

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 2:13 PM

Yes, you're right Lee. This is something I've noticed too, but since then I kind of started ignoring it (it was also few flash upgrades ago, so maybe increase of the plugin performance played a part).

Anyway, at first I was even angry at wgt for putting this useless visual. As for the effect on multiplayer games for me anything larger than a twosome is noticeably affecting my meter, with the foursome making it move like dipped in honey.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 2:16 PM

I know exactly what you're talking about, and it does it's thing like clockwork (it does the little flash thing around 5-8 seconds after the screen is completely loaded).

I will always wait for it to do it's little thing, then I'll shoot.   I'm not quite sure what it does, and you would think that WGT would have realized these little things wreak havoc in flash (waving flag on the green anyone??), but that's how she goes.

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 4:04 PM

I get the flash/glimmer about every 10 - 15 seconds but only when I'm not interacting with the game.  I held my back swing for over a minute and never saw it.   Let the club swing through a few times and never saw it.  As soon as I stopped interacting with the game and just watched the screen it came back again - Every 10 - 15 seconds like clockwork.

Whatever it is, the effect seems to turn off as soon as you interact with the game.  So I don't think it's effecting my meter, but who knows, be nice to blame something other than my poor eyesight and aging reflexes.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 7:22 PM

I was kind of wondering about this myself.  Dont forget the wind arrow flickers around, water glimmers, other little things, they all add up.

For sure low end users are going to be effected more and vice versa. 

A shame too, something like the flag blowing in the wind would be a great effect, hopefully in the future when and if Flash ever gets to run more efficiently something like that can be put back in. 

As for the white effect in question, I get it whether or not I am interacting or not.  Just getting ready to line up a putt I see it all the time, not sure if it happens when I'm swinging because I am too preoccupied to watch it! 

EDIT - I should have mentioned also that I have no issues at all 90 - 95% of the time and of course I always see that glimmer.  Time of day seems to be the issue for me. 

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2010 6:38 AM

I have a small theory that I'd like to put out to the community (mostly to prove that I'm not, in fact, insane)....  

I must be for not seeing this for myself.I noticed the glimmer but didn't think about it interfering with the meter.My meter is smooth most of the time.

I'll try what Marioh is doing since he's always ahead of me on the leader board in the RTG's.Must be something to it.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2010 7:55 AM

GITrDONE:

I must be for not seeing this for myself.I noticed the glimmer but didn't think about it interfering with the meter.My meter is smooth most of the time.

I'll try what Marioh is doing since he's always ahead of me on the leader board in the RTG's.Must be something to it.

lol.

Competition is stiff at the time we play (5-8PM EST) those RG's !   I've had way too many rounds where I finish my round and think it's an easy 2nd or 3rd place finish just to see that I'm in a 10 way tie for 5th place.   :)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2010 8:31 AM

Tried it on the tee, fwy, and green.  Never saw the glimmer occur while drawing the club back or releasing it   Tried many practice swings on each location.  Never happened while the swing meter was active during a swing.

The same likely cannot be said of the shot timer in MP as I'm sure the clock is still ticking during a backswing.  Will need to check if timer stops when you release for a swing.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:50 AM

andyson:
    Never happened while the swing meter was active during a swing.

That might be the problem,while the meter is in the swing process it could also be trying to do that glimmer thing, but the meter swing won't let it and it glitches when it try's to do the glimmer.The result is no glimmer, just a stutter.I really have no idea here, just guessing with a W A G...

• PAGES
RSS