Forums

Help › Forums

My guide on how i adjust for the wind

Tue, Mar 6 2012 7:15 AM (26 replies)
  • cobra4
    359 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 3:12 AM

As we all know the wind plays a major part in this game and can be the difference between a great round and a poor round. These images i have put together is an in-sight in to how i make my adjustments for the wind factor. Although the top players already have there own ways off adjusting for the wind factor, this thread is a starting point for those players and new players that struggle with the wind factor

This 1st image is the shot we see when the next shot is loaded. The blue box with the blue arrow is in perfect line to the pin. But i have a 12mph right to left wind, so i need to adjust it.

The 2nd image we see is where i have moved the blue box to the right. Notice how the left hand side off the blue box is directly in a straight line with the pin.

This constitutes a wind off around 10mph.

In image 3 i have a 12mph wind so i have to move the blue box a tad more to the right to make up for the extra 2mph = 12mph.

Image 4 is where the ball ended up

So this is how i juggle with the wind and i am not saying it is the perfect way, but i use the blue box as a guide to help me.Lining up the left or right hand side off the blue box with the pin is around 10mph depending on which way the wind is blowing ,so, adjust it accordingly whether it is a stronger wind or a lighter wind. That is just a starting point.Do remember to ding the line though, this helps a hell off a lot.

Please feel free to post your tips on how you play the wind factor.

Thanx C4

• g433a
    28 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 5:07 AM

Do you always always allow to the edge of the blue box for 10mph of wind, regardless of whether the shot is 120yds or 190yds?

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 5:15 AM

Yes i do, starting from the 50yd wedge up to the driver. Its a case off trial and error, but it is a good guidance from what i have found

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 5:25 AM

I would make this swing without adjusting default aim.........

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 5:34 AM

YankeeJim:

I would make this swing without adjusting default aim.........

I do a combination of both.   I don't like to cut it that much, so I'll move the aim control around half the distance as the TS, and then play a slight cut on the accuracy.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 5:38 AM

The trouble i would find in doing it your way Jim/Marioh, is that i would find it just as hard to hit it where you describe, as i would in hitting the ding line. Never the less still a good way i guess.

• dickie40
    37 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 5:42 AM
    The closer to the pin - the less time the ball is in the air to be affected by the wind. How much different is your compensation if you are at 170 yds and 70 yds? Do you play a ratio of your 150yd shot in your picture? Also at what velocity do you ignore the wind direction completely? And finally which is more of a factor - wind inline with your shot (head or tailwind) vs crosswind?
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 5:44 AM

g433a:

Do you always always allow to the edge of the blue box for 10mph of wind, regardless of whether the shot is 120yds or 190yds?

I had the same question in my mind g433a.  And I think this method is "self adjusting" for the distance.  Here's an example of two shots.  On the left the blue box is moved so the right edge is at the flag.  On the right is the zoom view of the actual adjustments at the green.

Thanks for the tip Cobra4, I think I'll start using it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 5:49 AM

cobra4:
    The trouble i would find in doing it your way Jim/Marioh, is that i would find it just as hard to hit it where you describe, as i would in hitting the ding line. Never the less still a good way i guess.

It's not an exact hit, just close. The thinking is, unless you expect to hole the shot out, you will have a close putt. The key is to miss on the right side if you're going to miss.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 5:54 AM

Those images i put on are a guidance in using the wind, and using the edge off the blue box as a 10mph wind  guidance aid, as appose to just randomly guessing the wind.

One thing you do have to remember is that in a shot like i had, don't be tempted to click early this will push the shot way left. If anything, missing the ding line late is better than being early, because off the right to left wind factor..

The only time i ignore the wind factor is if the shot is head on at me (6 o'clock) or behind me (12 o'clock).I basicaly just leave the blue marker where it is.

RSS