Forums

Help › Forums

Taylor Made preferred irons

rated by 0 users
Thu, Nov 4 2010 5:55 AM (40 replies)
  • raidermatt1
    96 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2010 1:33 PM
    I just bough the master set of tm irons thinking that it would help me not having a high trajectory, like with the pings, because when you are at master the winds are howling, Just need some advice from people that use them, because im not sure whether you need to come in shorter and let the ball roll in cause of the lower trajectory. BTW, dont be fooled by my 61.75 avg i dont think im that good yet, just took advantage of some of the tournys from the pro tees. Thanks, Matt
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2010 2:12 PM

Matt-I've been using the Taylor irons since I started. I swear by them but you have to like the fast meter. One of the greatest things about them is they way they work with the Tour-Sd ball. The spin and distance of that ball with the Taylor irons allow you to be very aggressive with your shots. It takes practice to know what your clubs can do but I will testify that this combo platter will let you control the wind instead of the reverse. 

By way of an example, the PW in the master set rates 122 yds with max spin rating. Normally, hitting into a wind you club up  so when I am facing a 123 yd shot into a 10 mph wind you would think 9i(135) backspin for landing, less than full power.  I don't. The PW with full topspin rolls to 122 yds (on this particular flat green.) The ball and the topspin overcome the normal wind adjustment. You basically bull your way through the wind. That Tour-SD ball will allow you to treat your club distances as an average instead of a max with rollout.

I would suggest to try this--get some Tour-SD balls and purposely underclub yourself in a practice round. By that I mean if you think you need a 5i take a 6 and add topspin. Where the hole is 210 away forget trying to stop that 3i, take the 4 and add backspin to slow out the landing roll or add it to increase it, depending on the elevation. The idea is to take advantage of the low trajectory and resulting roll out when you can. You can quite effectively control them with the spin balls. 

I set my bag up with clubs that all have the exact same specs so the thinking can be the same across the board. Do not fear the wind, make good use of it. GL

• raidermatt1
    96 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2010 2:18 PM

Thanks Jim, I will try to use your method of controlling the spin, I normally have tried to backspin most of my shots but I will see how this way works for me

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2010 4:10 PM

My advice would be to ditch the taylor mades,  they are vastly inferior to the G10s.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 6:19 AM

BolloxInBruges:
    they are vastly inferior to the G10s.

Vastly? Why, because of the trajectory? 1/2 dot more precision, 1/2 dot less forgiveness and 1/2 dot less spin rating? I don't get it. I guess if you could ding every shot the precision would be a better thing but we both know this isn't the case.

I would say your stats are hard to argue with  ;-)

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 6:30 AM

17th hole on BPB is probably a good example of where the G10 is superior due to the high loft (and most long par 3's I suspect).

I may check out the G10s eventually, but I'm satisfied with the performance of the TM's.   Hell, I wouldn't have even upgraded from the tour starter irons if WGT had not released the RG's which allowed me to accumulate credits easily and upgrade to the TM irons I'm using now.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 6:48 AM

The G10 long irons are superior at stopping the ball on the green on long approach shots and also to elevated greens. BPB #5 is a good example. 

The middle and short irons between the two master sets are pretty equal though in my opinion, with the taylormades having a a sleight advantage with the short irons where you can really effect your shot with spin.

I would love to ditch the 8i, 9i, and PW from my G10 set and just carry the tour preferred 9i and PW. this would be perfect! 

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 1:56 PM

1) less gaps in your bag,  with TM you are gonna go with something along the lines of 60/85/110 yard wedges.    Making shots of around 70 and 95 yards a pain in the ass (especially uphill ones where a non-full shot won't stop, and punch won't work, or pins with little green to work with)  G10 is almost like having an extra club in your bag with the 115-210 spread as opposed to 122-210.

2) Long irons,  many many holes (par 3s especially!!)  need the high trajectory and quicker stop.   Like having 170-180 yards with a R to L sidewind on 4 kia,  I can aim right of the pin and stop it very close.  Good luck doing that with TM...  I could list another 10 examples like that but it was the first to come to mind.

3) precision.  Being slightly closer to where you aimed (assuming your are aiming right) adds up over time.  Maybe its only .5 strokes per 18 holes, but that can be the difference between 1st and 2nd in many tourneys.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 2:34 PM

BolloxInBruges:
    1) less gaps in your bag,  with TM you are gonna go with something along the lines of 60/85/110 yard wedges.    Making shots of around 70 and 95 yards a pain in the ass (especially uphill ones where a non-full shot won't stop, and punch won't work, or pins with little green to work with)  G10 is almost like having an extra club in your bag with the 115-210 spread as opposed to 122-210.

I totally disagree.  Taylor master irons with Satin wedges. 210  197  185  172  160  147  135  122  110  90  77  50. Punch shots fill in the lower gaps, if needed. The spin on the 110 is is silly and 95 yds is a no brainer. Drop the 110 wedge and swap the 90 for a 98 if you want a fairway wood/hb.

With more wind than not in the tourneys that higher loft requires a little more attention (not to mention the majority of deviation complaints come from high trajectory clubs.) Powering through the wind decreases this and the high spin rating with the SD ball lets you control the landing and rollout. All those clubs have the exact same specs.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 3:54 PM

Fine YJ, you're right,  I guess thats why I hit 5 more greens than you per 18 hole round.  And also why basically every player playing the game at a high level right now uses G10s.

Keep intentionally mishitting shots with your TMs....

RSS