Help › Forums

ties in ready go question

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 8 2010 11:21 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Downbylaw11
    16 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2010 2:28 PM

I just finished 2nd in a ready go, but had the same score as the guy who finished first. can someone make sense of this for me? 1 lbcgolf $5.50 29 2 Downbylaw11 $4.00 29 do they break ties with whoever had the most birides or something?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2010 2:30 PM

Ties for 1st are broken down by the scorecard...

1.)  Best combined score over the last 6 holes

2.)  Best combined score over the first 3 holes.

3.)  If that doesn't break the tie then they do a hole-by-hole comparison (starting from the last hole and working back to the first) until somebody wins.

4.)  If the scorecards are 100% identical, it goes by whomever submitted their score first.

• Downbylaw11
    16 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2010 2:45 PM
    thanks
  • cobra4
    359 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 12:26 PM

Since when did this start, i assumed if the scores were tied then the credits would be shared. It's a little bit daft that if you ask me, so now on this scorecard i have the same score as Tallacepaul but he gets more credits for posting his card earlier than me?

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 1:45 PM
    it is a bit crazy wheres the incentive to join a torney late everyone will be trying to get one of the early spots to increase their chance of a higher finish in the case of a tie. if your going to have a card playoff for 1st place you should do it all the way down so only the golf is taken into account and not the time you submitted your score. a tie for a place should only be called if the cards can't be seperated after the last 6, last 3, last 2 and then final hole. it would be nice if we had the ability to see peoples cards or scores in the gap between their name and prize money. example PLIM 3-4-3-4-2-5-3-2-4 $2.00 ###### 30
  • OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 2:02 PM

cobra4:
    i have the same score as Tallacepaul but he gets more credits for posting his card earlier than me?

No, Paul won because he had a lower score towards the latter part of the round.  

plim:
    it would be nice if we had the ability to see peoples cards or scores

Yes, this would be nice just to verify the tiebreaker implemented correctly.
    I know I have been in this same scenario and it would at least be nice to see how I was beaten.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 2:14 PM

It's been that way since the beginning.  The tiebreaker method is the same method employed by the USGA, all except the submission time part, but it's rare for people to have exactly identical scorecards.  It's only happened to me once that I know of.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 3:36 PM

cobra4:

Since when did this start, i assumed if the scores were tied then the credits would be shared. It's a little bit daft that if you ask me, so now on this scorecard i have the same score as Tallacepaul but he gets more credits for posting his card earlier than me?

Geeze Cobra. The likelihood of you, tograss, and tall ace paul all having 3 cards exactly the same, and the ace getting the tiebreaker cause he finished first is very very slim. In reality, you simply missed the top spot cause you weren't wearing your leopardskin tin-foil pillbox hat. 

Please, Cobra, try to read and understand the rules. besides....

...If the tiebreaker was not used to determine the first place finisher - you would all be tied for THIRD!

and wouldn't that be a $!^@#.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 3:58 PM

nivlac:
    It's been that way since the beginning.

Actually, now that I think about it that's not entirely true.  The first 3 steps of the tiebreaker were in place since in the beginning.  The final "time submitted" tiebreaker was added after CKEVIN2 and I broke the leaderboard back in February of last year. 

As far as I'm aware that was the first occurrence of identical scorecards on a leaderboard since they opened stroke play in October of 2008.  That means they went through 5 months of tournaments before it happened the first time.  Granted there are a lot more players now, but there was also only 2 tiers then.  It's still not a very likely occurrence today because almost all ties will be broken within the first 3 tiebreakers anyway.

In the case of an identical card, the player who played first is rewarded for taking the risk rather than the player who sat back and waited to see what he needed to shoot first.

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2010 2:07 PM
    please lets just let what we did not when we did it decide. if they can have a card playoff for 1 st place please do it all the way down the list.
  • PAGES
RSS