Help › Forums

Fringe Putting

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 2 2010 1:52 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Jan 31 2010 1:52 PM

I had a putt on the 13th hole on Kiawah.  The ball was on the fringe 16 feet away and a down hill putt with an elevation change of 11 inches. 

I decided to putt  this shot instead of chipping.  I hit the putt approximately 50% on the 15 foot scale and the ball didn't move an inch.

Thus, I ended up chipping and putting for bogey as a result of the first putt.  I left a bug log in the game.  But, this has happen on more than one occasion.  Perhaps, I'm missing something here,  but we need to look into this.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sun, Jan 31 2010 4:51 PM

Are you sure it was the fringe and not the rough? They look exactly the same. I Tried to putt from the rough next to the green so close it was almost the fringe. But t he keyword is almost. The putt went 0  inches just like yours. 

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Jan 31 2010 5:28 PM

Definitely it was the fringe.  You can put the cursor over the ball and it will tell you if you are on the green, fringe etc.....  This is the ball on the lower right side of the screen.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2010 6:00 AM

I can confirm what Infinito is saying.  While playing a practice round, I intentionally putted up to where I thought the problem was based upon Infinito's description of  16ft away and 11 inches above the hole.  I found it.  Infinito's calculation of the power needed to get the ball to the hole from the fringe is spot on.  So I tried it, Redwood Putter, 15 foot scale, half way back equals a 7.5 ft putt.  It didn't move like he says.  Confirmed I was on the fringe.

Took a screen shot and reported the bug to WGT.  Here's the spot to beware of.

I tried the 30 ft scale, same power, it also didn't move.  It eventually did move off the fringe using the 45ft scale, same power.  But I can't be sure the prior two attempts didn't move the ball the needed inches to get it off the "dead spot" on the fringe.

I then restarted and played practice to the 13th again. Lo and behold, borntobesting is also correct saying there is fairway up there.  A little further from the hole there is fairway.  Here's a picture of that spot showing it says fairway and the distance is in yards(upper right) not feet.

:

The bottom line for all of us is, if you are in this position on KI #13, chip it, don't try to putt it.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2010 7:19 AM

*deleted - moved to more appropriate thread

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2010 8:10 AM

*deleted because PugsAces deleted his

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Feb 1 2010 8:57 AM

andyson, wow, you found it.  There are a couple more holes which I encountered the same phenomena. 

Also they have the data from my round in a bug log.  Something weird there, thats for sure.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 9:01 AM

*deleted - moved to more appropriate thread.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 9:26 AM
    I have had this happen a number of times. A few of the first times it was because I was actually in the rough and didn't pay attention, after I starting looking more closely I noticed that it happened several times on the fringe, but always it seems on a downhill putt that I am hitting about 50%. I finally gave up putting from the fringe and just chip from there.
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2010 1:37 PM

Thanks for that Pugs I got it now.  Did you get the "Bottom of the Cup 9" award for the first round on KI??

• PAGES
RSS