rated by 0 users
Thu, Feb 4 2010 12:31 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • oppy
    286 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2010 1:00 PM

andyson:

oppy, here's an eye opener for you..

Golf magazine does, in their words, "the most thorough and respected rankings(of golf courses) in golf.  In their 2009 rankings of the World's Top 100 Courses, the US has 51 and the World has 49.  Not an overwhelming majority, barely the most.  Break it down by population and the US has 1 top 100 course per 6 million people.  The small corner of the globe I'll call the British Isles (UK + Ireland) including England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Ireland has 1 top 100 per 2.4 million people.  That's 2 and a half times more top 100 courses per person than the US.

Looking at top 100 courses per million golfers.  The U.S. also lags behind the World.

The U.S. has 1.4 top courses/ million golfers, the World has 2.0 top courses/million golfers.

Well I guess good job on the research. But I really don't see what the point of it was. The point is that, because the United States has the most top courses (edited from countries) than the rest of world combined, there should, and most likely will, be mostly American golf courses on WGT. I really don't see how you can argue this. Second of all, why are you opposed to having Winged Foot on this site, have you even played it, do even know anything about it? I already illustrated in my last post that it is not similar to Bethpage, so what is your reason?

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2010 4:03 PM

oppy:

Well I guess good job on the research. But I really don't see what the point of it was.

The point you missed is there are a heck of a lot of top courses outside the U.S. that could be on this site.  And there are a heck of a lot of golfers out side the U.S.

oppy:
    The point is that, because the United States has the most top countries than the rest of world combined, there should, and most likely will, be mostly American golf courses on WGT. I really don't see how you can argue this.

And I won't since WGT is an American country.

oppy:
    Second of all, why are you opposes to having Winged Foot on this site, have you even played it, do even know anything about it? I already illustrated in my last post that it is not similar to Bethpage, so what is your reason?

I never said I wouldn't want WF on this site.  What I did say is my next choices after St. Andrews would be Augusta, Pebble Beach, Cypress and Spyglass.

Its like a dessert tray, strawberry cheesecake, double chocolate cake, key lime pie, chocolate mousse.  WF would be the mousse, because it doesn't get me drooling, but right now its the Pebble Beach cheesecake for me.

And I haven't even played Pebble or WF.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2010 5:03 PM

Andyson... I have been fortunate enough to play Pebble Beach.  It is not only the cheesecake but it has a decadent warm chocolate sauce drizzled over the top.  And fresh whipped cream, not out of a can.   Especially holes 6, 7, 8, 14, 17 and 18.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2010 5:46 PM

Glad you got to play it, I hate you, but still glad you did. LOL

And I think you described my point...well, deliciously!

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 12:22 AM

You're right about Wing Oppy...What I meant and did'nt explain clearly was that they have a similar setting. Both are park land style, and being in roughly the same geographical area they have a similar look. But your right, they do play differently. TPC @ Avenel is also a parkland course, but its in a different region with different trees and with the meandering stream, just a different look. I would be very happy to have Wing on our little rotation. I would also love to see some of McKenzie's sand belt courses in Australia in here too.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 12:31 AM

Here's a url  for Royal Melbourne

index.mhtml

• PAGES
RSS