Forums

Help › Forums

Need club advice from someone new

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 5 2010 6:12 AM (3 replies)
  • Hammerbro
    7 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 11:56 AM
    I'm fairly new to game and have finally achieved Pro status. I've read alot of good advice here on forums from all of you. I am finally ready to buy clubs(still using starter). I'm torn between 2 Pro sets: Rapture & G10. My questions are to new purchasers. How do you like the clubs. Are the G10's too fast? Does everyone feel the Raptures are better. Is it better to get used to a quicker speed now? Thanks for help all. Hope to be playing in room soon.
  • JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 12:10 PM

Here's a reply from an old guy that's been here, probably, too long. I made the mistake of going with the Ping Raptures because of the slow meter speed. Looking back, I should have gone with the faster meter clubs to prepare me for master status. The master-only clubs have very fast meters (especially fast if, like me, you didn't grow up with a PS3 controller in your hand). I've played some very good master players that still use their Raptures, although most have moved up to a master-only driver. And I've heard rumors of master players still using the starter clubs, although I've yet to play with one doing so. Remember...pro status is but a stepping stone to master, and until they introduce another tier, you'll be a master forever.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 2:00 PM

Check for a post written by molideha, he is a master and uses the rapture pro clubs.  Some will say G10's others will say raptures.  Myself, I prefer the G10's at the master level because of the high trajectory.  Now, if you are looking at progression, Raptures pros, and then when you hit the masters level you may want to consider G10's.  I had the Raptures, non pro version,  then finally broke down and bought the TM master driver and played with the Rapture irons.  Eventually I upgraded and bought the g10 master irons.  As for the putter, Redwood is the way to go.  Wedges are a different story, check out the equipment specs in "equipment and avatar" forum.  Lots of useful information.  You may also want to check to see what the other pros and masters are using for wedges.  Hope this info helps.  Secondly, ball type will play an important roll in your decision making.  Again, hit them straight, and see you soon at the master tier.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, May 5 2010 6:12 AM

Am not a master yet but climbing the pro ranks. I was a cheapskate for a long time, using the free clubs. When I sprang for the Pro Raptures and the rest of the set of paid clubs, I hoped to bring my game to a new level and so it was!

In truth, when it comes for example to Bethpage, with the longer driver (255) and all the rest, you are essentially playing a different course. Suddenly the par 4's (!) are reachable in two, not to mention the par 5's. The Rapture Pro irons give me enough backspin to help keep the ball in birdie range, although it can be dicey and they don't really hold on the uphill approach shots at Bethpage.

The Redwood putter gives excellent control over the length of putts, although aiming and release remain, shall we say, my own issues.

The longer, more accurate wedges have a pretty fast release, which cuts into my consistency. Desideratum for me would be to have all clubs, from driver down to wedges, with the same meter speed etc.

I have seen some folks, including masters, saying they have no use for the 215 club, which is a 2-hybrid, but what is crucial for me about that club is that I can hit it far from the rough, which is a constant threat at Bethpage. (My favorite course. Call me a masochist, or maybe it's just because I played it in real life once...)

RSS